Please sign in to post.

Real ID required to travel to Italy in 2024?

We’re leaving for Italy in a few days and do not have the Real IDs yet! I’m not finding a clear answer online I’d they're required now or not until 5/25/25. Can someone please clarify? Thank you so much!

Posted by
569 posts

I hope you have passports, which are required.

Posted by
240 posts

Real ID is only a substitute ID for future flying in the USA, or to Canada and Mexico.

Posted by
6561 posts

You will need a valid passport good for at least 3 months? Past your return date

Posted by
2776 posts

Real ID will not be in effect until at least mid 2025.

However, Real ID is for the ability to use your Real ID verified drivers license in the US for air travel INSIDE the US, and entry into various U.S. government buildings. It IS, and will always be, irrelevant for entering through TSA for a flight leaving the US, or for that matter driving across a U.S. border. That will always require your valid US passport.

Posted by
469 posts

You must have a passport to travel internationally all the time; and if you don't have a real ID after the 2025 deadline; your passport works in lieu of the real ID (domestically).

Posted by
602 posts

This is frim the US Dept of Homeland Security:

"A passport is an acceptable form of identification and may be used in lieu of a REAL ID Drivers License or ID to board domestic flights and visit federal facilities."

Have a great trip.

Posted by
4 posts

I can’t thank you all enough for your responses. Yes, we do all have our passports, so we should be good to go! Big relief, thank you, again! ❤️

Posted by
15596 posts

You can use a RealID for TSA even on international flights. To TSA it doesn't matter where you are going. They just want to verify it is you.

You still need a passport for the actual flight.

I only use my Real ID drivers license at TSA checkpoints.

But Italy only wants your passport.