Please sign in to post.

Ravenna

Can anyone tell me what the best places to see and where to stay in Ravenna or Porto Corsini?

Posted by
2026 posts

It was a few years ago but we had a wonderful stay at the hotel Albergo Capello. We traveled on a day the trains went on strike until 10 PM and with great trepidation trudged up from the station at nearly midnight to find the smiling desk clerk waiting with open door and arms to grab our luggage. The kindness continued throughout our stay. Our room was huge, high ceiling, chandelier and a walk-in shower that had more knobs and faucets than we could figure out. Good breakfast and attached restaurant that offered a huge happy hour snacks buffet. Small patio area and restaurants within a stone’s throw. As for sights, anything covered in mosaics…truly among the most exceptional works of art I have seen in many years of travel.. Most are clustered within the center or an easy bus ride away. I had read that owing to its flat terrain many people in Ravenna ride bicycles but we did not. Have a great time and safe travels.

Posted by
32750 posts

the link at this point doesn't seem to pull anything up?

Posted by
27111 posts

Googling Ravenna mosaics will bring up a lot of links. This was at the top of my list; there are lots of nice photos.

https://mandalameadow.com/ravenna-mosaics/

The mosaics are simply stunning. I can't imagine what sort of impact they have if you're religious (which I am not).

Posted by
15809 posts

Nigel, did you mean that it's my link that isn't working? When clicked, it's working fine on my end.