Please sign in to post.

Ravenna

We are visiting Ravenna in our upcoming trip to Italy to see the mosaics. We will have 1 full day, 2 nights, and a few hours in the afternoon of our arrival. I'm concerned that we haven't left enough time to see and enjoy the mosaics. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted by
1538 posts

Last year we spent 3 nights, 2 days and a few hours in the first day. We spent one whole day seeing the mosaics town. These are all within easy walking distance of each other. On the second day we took the bus to Sant'Apollinare in Classe. I seem to recall the bus took about .5 hrs but not really sure. This is one I would skip and not feel too badly about. Note the closing time of the sites. When we were there the Arian Baptistry closed at 4:30pm. The Baptistries are small and don't take too much time to see, even spending time contemplating the mosaics. The most spectacular are Basilica di San Vitale and Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, both located on the same grounds. You will probably spend more time at these than the others combined. If you organize your walking tour of the sites you should be able to have time to enjoy them. If you don't have a hotel you might check Casa Masoli, also recommended by RS. We stayed there and loved it. Great breakfast with homemade sweets made by Nona.
You're sure to have a great stay in Ravenna!

Posted by
950 posts

You will have plenty of time. St. Vitale where the main mosaics are as well as Galla's Mausoleum are next to each other and most of the other mosaics are within easy walking distance of the centre of town. Rick's Italy book has a good walking tour of the town and of the important sites. He also mentions a City Pass for around 10 Euro which gets you into six sites (including the San Vitale ones). Well worth the trip to see the mosaics - they are stunning and Ravenna is a pleasant town. Visit the market in the morning and grab a picnic lunch.

Posted by
1994 posts

I'd suggest you try to include S Appolinarie in Classe. It's a short bus ride (although I went on a Sunday and the return buses were infrequent): a few km frmo the train station. It was my favorite part of the Ravenna area. It was quieter and less crowded than the other sites, so it's easier to "experience;" the mosiacs are lovely; and the church is brighter than many of the others, so it's easier to appreciate the artistry. Also, unlike most others, it is still a functioning church, which I find so adds to the experience.

Posted by
1005 posts

you should be fine with that amount of time. We spent only part of a day here on our way driving from Lake Garda to Assisi and felt we got to see most everything we wanted to. Did not go go Sant A. in Classe. Ravenna is a very nice untouristy town. Buon Viaggio!