Please sign in to post.

Rain Rain Go Away!

So, we leave for Venice on Friday and then will venture through Siena and Rome next week. Looking at the forecast I see most of the days are calling for a 60% chance of rain. I know this was the gamble I took with booking my trip in November but my question is, what are Italian rains like? 60% chance of rain in KY basically means Heavy or Light rain all day off and on. I'm hoping Italian rains are like FL showers??? Should I bring my wellies? Or is that overkill?

Posted by
316 posts

60% chance of rain means the same thing it does here and rain is pretty much the same as here. You may get a light drizzle or you may get a downpour. I'm leaving Saturday and expect the first 5 days to be wet. Just a really good excuse to sit in a dry cafe and have a glass of wine.

Posted by
20 posts

Safe travels to you and I expect to do much of the same!

Posted by
11507 posts

Heather ,, my daughter has a picture of St Marks square completely immersed in water,, and people walking in rubber boots on boards balanced all over the place. I would take good water proof shoes at least,, ankle boots perhaps? Also perhaps you could look at how much rain they have had in last week..

Posted by
2207 posts

Traveling often to Venice, we found the best place to buy "wellies" is in the local hardware stores. Our last trip during high water, we paid €8 for a pair. See a picture here.

Posted by
7737 posts

Don't pack your wellies just on the off-chance you might need them. The flooding in Venice is sporadic at most, so you'll likely be fine. Do take good travel shoes, though, preferrably waterproof. Have a great time.

Posted by
32778 posts

The Venice flooding is not so much from rain, rather it is tidal and seasonal.

Posted by
582 posts

Ron, you still look so happy in spite of the rain!
I'm going to Venice in three weeks and I know I'll still be happy even if it is very wet! Big crowds in the heat of the summer would bother me most.

Posted by
20 posts

Just did 3 days in a rainy Venice; cold and blowing rain at times. We still had a wonderful time but if you see a rain filled forecast like we had, the wellies came in handy.

Posted by
492 posts

But today was simply gorgeous - sunny and warm. And not too many day trippers. And the forecast is for more sunny days. ;-)

Posted by
782 posts

I went to Italy in November (1996) for my honeymoon and it rained 15 out of the 16 days we were there, including the three days we spent in Venice. It was more of a constant mist and drizzle all day long every day while we were there. We made the best of it and had a great trip. That said, summer is no picnic weatherwise either. This past July, we stayed in Italy for a month and had to bear 100 degree temps in Rome and awful humidity in Venice (plus the crowds). Unfortunately, traveling in spring and fall is not an option since my husband's a teacher and my kids are school age. You go when you can go!