Please sign in to post.

Rail pass

I've read about the need to validate point to point tickets before getting on the train, but is any validation needed in the case of using a rail pass? We got the Germany-Austria-Italy select pass as we'll be taking the night train from Munich to Florence and that ticket alone would be around 105 euro each. I already got the reservation for that train and I know we'll need a reservation from Florence to Rome. Do we need to get the reservations or rail pass validated? Thanks.

Posted by
67 posts

We got the rail pass too. Once you get the reservation there is no need to validate your pass. We only traveled within Italy but when we flew into Rome and got to Termini station we made reservations for all points of travel at that time. Even though you have reservations for each train you still need to write in pen on your pass the date you are traveling. I always waited until just before boarding to fill in the date blanks in case of a strike or delay.

Posted by
3580 posts

I'm not sure what Denise meant, but the pass itself needs to be validated before first use. A railroad agent will stamp it and write in your personal info (passport number, I think).