Please sign in to post.

Quick Honeymoon May/June 2025

My son is getting married May 24, 2025, and due to the bride's work commitments, their honeymoon options for travel are limited. The bride is part of a wedding in Italy the first weekend of June. The wedding takes place:The Castle of Modanella. They would like to do their honeymoon in Italy. How do I plan the itinerary for them? They will fly over likely on 5/27/2025 and explore Italy before wedding.

Posted by
290 posts

How do I plan the itinerary for them?

Ask them what they would like to do? Then get them to plan their own honeymoon.

Posted by
928 posts

Hi there, and welcome to the Forum. So they would. be flying on May 27, arrive May 28th and it looks to me like they only have 3 days before the wedding weekend, does that sound about right? So I would suggest either Florence, or somewhere between Florence and the wedding, which looks like it's south of Florence. They can fly into and out of Florence, or Pisa, or Milan for that matter but that's more transit and out of the way for this particular trip.

There's so much to say about this, sort of depends upon them, their style of travel, preferences, big city, country B&B, budget etc! Personally, I would suggest a trip to the library with both of them, settle in and look over the Tuscan travel section. Have they watched any Youtube videos on Italy? Here on the Forum there's SO much to watch, check out RS videos here. https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/florence. And here https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/tuscany.

Then, if you come back to us with more details, I’m sure many people will have ideas. Good luck!

Posted by
7030 posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats to the mother of the groom!

I agree with above that the couple really should plan their own honeymoon but perhaps they have asked you to do it all?

Since they only have 3 days before the Tuscany wedding ( they will need a car to get to that location) - wondering if they also have a few days after that wedding?
Flying to Florence or Pisa would require a change somewhere in Europe which takes time and their time is already short so I'd lean towards a RT Rome ticket- direct if at all possible. Or fly IN to Venice, OUT of Rome

IMO Both Rome and Venice are romantic cities so either could work before the wedding.
Fly IN to Venice 3 nights there, then train to Florence and transfer to the Tuscany wedding.
After that wedding if they have a few more days they could spend/split it in Florence or Rome.
They will need to be IN their departure city the night before their departure flight.

Anywhere else in Italy is probably just too far flung- takes up too much of their very short time getting to/from (Amalfi, Como, etc)

You'll need to know how many NIGHTS they will have in Italy and where they actually want to go.
Start looking for flight options on Google Flights and set up some alerts.

Posted by
928 posts

Flying to Florence or Pisa would require a change somewhere in Europe which takes time and their time is already short so I'd lean towards a RT Rome ticket- direct if at all possible

VERY good point, yes why not stay in Rome?? One of the most romantic cities in the world IMO, IF they want to stay in a big city.... Again comes back to what they're looking for in the limited time they have. And just for fun, they could skip some of the larger monuments & focus on the many gorgeous places to walk, take a food walking tour, sunset tour in center, etc. Rome has some lovely higher end hotels, not that I've done more than visited the lobbies for cocktails. Good luck!

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for your advice. You all made excellent points. I. am assisting in the honeymoon because both Bride and Groom are in medical school and quite busy. I am only researching to help them make the final decisions. There is so much to do in Italy, so I appreciate the guidance.

Posted by
928 posts

OK, Medical school.. now it makes more sense! So given their likely modest budget, thinking they would get much better value for the same $$ looking outside Rome for accommodation. Maybe get back to us with some more details of what sort of experience they'd like?? Good luck, and what fun helping them plan!

Posted by
2086 posts

Take a look at San Pier Novello in Oltrano B&B in Florence. It is a beautiful family run place that has several. 14th century frescoes. It is located in the Oltrano neighborhood of Florence which is quieter but full of great restaurants and bars. The rooms are each unique and beautiful. The b&b is run by a small group of siblings and cousins who are extremely enthusiastic and helpful. They have a 3 night minimum. We stayed 4 and wish we’d had more.

Posted by
2181 posts

Welcome! Congratulate the groom and send best wishes to the bride.

My vote is to spend the time in Florence. They will be in the countryside for the wedding.

Watch RS videos and others you YouTube to get some ideas, then send them links of the videos you suggest.

Florence is a lovely, magical romantic place that holds a special place in our hearts. It was in Florence that my wife and I shared our first kiss while on a high school trip to Europe. It was 1966 and she was 14 and I was 15. We've been going steady since then and this August will celebrate our 54th wedding anniversary. We returned to Florence to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.

Posted by
17244 posts

Rather than decide on a specific destination first, I suggest you start by looking at flights to see what is the best combination of efficiency and cost. They do not want to get set on a specific town, such as Florence, and then discover that flights there take longer and/or cost more than flying to a different airport. If they are starting from a smaller US city with no international flights it can get complicated, with 2 layovers on the way. They will want to avoid that.

Rome, Milan, annd Venice are the easiest to reach by direct flight from a major US airport. From any of these they can easily reach the Tuscany location, spending 2 days along the way. One-stop flights would take them to Florence, Pisa, or Bologna (a nice little airport that we like). Compare these to the direct flights for cost and convenience, and they they can make an informed decision.

I am advising this step first, as lately we have seen too many examples of people who got tied to a particular airport or airline, and then too late found that is takes 24+hours to fly there from their home airport, or costs $$$ more than the cost of flying with a different airline or to a different airport close by.