Please sign in to post.

Questions on Italy trip - June 2020

Hello,

Wish you all a very happy and healthy new year!

We (Wife + 2 Boys 14, 10 + myself) are planning a trip to Switzerland and Italy during the 1st part of June 2020 for 12 days. We are planning to be in Italy first and spend time in Rome (4 nights), Florence , Pissa and Tuscany Heights (4 nights together). Rick Steve's site is amazing and we love the information that we have collected so far (I wish I could have done the same with mt prior trip to Paris and Brussels).

In general, this is what the skeleton look like:

1) Arrive in Rome
2) Spend 3 full days in Rome
3) Spend 4 days in Tuscany Hill Towns and Florence.
a. San Gimignano
b. Volterra
c. Pienza
d. Siena
e. Pisa
f. Florence
4) Fly out to Switzerland from Florence

Need help,

i) Do you think these are enough days to plan these many cities?
ii) If not, what do recommend after Rome that can be accommodated in 4 days from the list
iii) Is train going to be the best option? I don't want to drive in Italy
iv) In case, if I have to then - Is US driving license valid in Italy?
v) My wife and older kid has motion sickness - Will the Tuscany Hills town route make them feel sick?
vi) ) Do we also need to have tour guide in Italy, especially in Rome?
vi) Is Uber advisable in Italy?

Thanks
Manish

Posted by
2768 posts

I can’t answer everything but I’ll try!

1. The main issue is that you only have 1 day for Florence. I’d do 2 there and 2 in other towns, or all in Florence, or just skip Florence. It’s great - but there’s a ton there and a mad dash through it is more tiring than worth it. If you selectively pick 1 big thing (museum etc) and another small thing in your day you might be ok, not if you squeeze too much.
    I do think 3 days in Rome might be too short. 4 Rome/3 Florence?
    Also - where do you plan on staying for these 4 days? Switching hotels 4 tines is a very bad idea. Staying somewhere central-ish is a good idea.

2. If you want a different option, 4 days in Siena, with day trips to hill towns could be good. Or Sorrento (day trip to Pompeii!). Or Venice.

3. Train is the best except maybe for hill towns. Depends on which ones and where you are staying. Some are easily connected, some aren’t. You can certainly choose based on ease of trains. A car for just those days could be handy but not necessary. You don’t want a car in Rome or Florence!

4. If you drive you need an IDP. It’s basically an international translation of your US license (you need this and your US license). It costs like $20 at AAA and is ready that day.

5. Not sure. I have motion sickness and have been fine but all roads are different.

6. You do not need a guide if you don’t want one. A guidebook and a map are all you need, it’s easy. But a day tour can be good if you like that - look into walks of Italy. They offer great guided tours.

1. Uber is advisable if it operates in your destination. That seems to change often so look up “Uber in (city)” and find the current info.
Posted by
503 posts

No, you don't have enough days to see all these places. Getting from Rome to Tuscany will take anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of a day In order to maximize your time, I'd suggest choosing one place and day trip from there. Florence would make an excellent base - and with only a maximim of 3 1/2 days, you could easily fill those days in Florence alone. So, I would plan to take the train from Rome to Florence and then 1 or 2 days for Florence and do day tours for one or two days. from Florence, Siena, Pisa and Volterra can all be done as day tours. This eliminates the need for a car, and will give you a taste of other parts of Tuscany.
If you decide that, based on your priorities driving is preferable, you will need your U.S. license, an International Driving Permit (you can get this through Triple A) and proof of liability insurance. Again, with such a short time, I think you are better off with just doing organized day trips from Florence.
As for car sickness, you should be fine doing both Siena and Pisa. I haven't been to Volterra so can't comment on that route.
For Rome, you don't need a tour guide - tours are available at the major sites such as the Colosseum and the Vatican - and I highly recommend tours for both since you will be there during a busy time. If the Sistine Chapel is of interest, I would look into tours that allow you entrance to the chapel before opening hours. We took the Walks of Italy Pristine Sistine tour the tours is on the pricey side, but we felt it was worth every penny.
Hope this helps!

Posted by
6366 posts

3) Spend 4 days in Tuscany Hill Towns and Florence.
a. San Gimignano
b. Volterra
c. Pienza
d. Siena
e. Pisa
f. Florence

Manish, I think this is way too ambitious. You're thinking about 6 different places in four days - 4 nights, actually, which may only be 3 full days. I haven't been to all those places, but I could easily spend several days each in Siena and Florence alone.

You might think about why you want to visit each of these places, and set your priorities. Sit down with a map, as well, to see how long it'll take to get from one place to another; traveling always takes more time that we think, especially if you're not planning to spend all 4 nights in one place.

Posted by
314 posts

4 nights Rome is doable. If you arrive early enough and can salvage even a couple of hours day one with jet-lag even better. If not, 3 full days you will see a lot in Rome. Do plan your days ahead and buy tickets in advance for everything that requires them.

Take the train from Rome to Florence. It will take half a day to check out of your Rome hotel, go to the train station, travel to Florence and check into your Florence hotel. 4 nights Florence is good. You can take a train to Pisa and spend half a day there. Maybe you can train to Siena or San Gimignano. Can you see every place you listed I think not. However, can you see some, yes. Pick the places you most want to see and can easily go via the train from Florence. Depending on how much time you wish to spend in museums in Florence, you will need at least 1.5 to 2 days for Florence. Again, buy tickets in advance for the sights that require them.
Enjoy your trip

Posted by
11 posts

Mira, Nancy, Jane and Joyce,

Thanks so much for taking time out during your 1st day of 2020 and providing such a valuable recommendations. I was amazed by the whole forum ecosystem where everyone is sharing their views and trying to make trip meaningful.

We don't like to rush and neither we want to cover everything just for the sake of getting bang for the buck. We would be happy even if we can cover 4 days in Rome and 3 days in Florence if we can cover few day-trips and come back or stay for a day in remote place. Based on your suggestions, I think Florence could be a destination after Rome and then from there I can do a day-trip to Sienna (may be stay there for a night if it is hectic) and cover Pisa for a day if I get time from Florence. OR Just do Florence and not do Pisa and Sienna. I really don't want to drive (tired of driving in Los Angeles, so want to give a break to my legs :) .. I was thinking of taking a train to Florence from Rome.

Please feel free to comment and suggest. Also, thanks for providing updates on Uber and Driving License questions.

I have also posted questions on my Switzerland forum as I don't have any clue regarding that part.

Thanks & Regards
Manish

I have also po

I have

Posted by
6570 posts

Might consider something like this, especially if you do not want to rent a car:

Rome 4 nights

Train to Orvieto- about 1.5 hour so you have most of the day there- Spend 1 night
Orvieto is a lovely Umbrian hill town, smaller than Siena, some interesting things there that your boys might enjoy (Underground, Etruscan caves/tunnels, Patrizio Well, a funicular ride up to town from train station).
And it is nice to spend an evening/morning in a smaller town.
https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/orvieto-what-an-italian-hill-town-should-be

Train to Florence 3 nights. 2.5 hr train.
1 day trip from here- by bus or train. Pienza- while charming for sure- is too far- no train service, either.

Get your boys involved, maybe let them pick which hill towns to visit?

Posted by
16022 posts

I like Christine's itinerary above. While it was certain that you couldn't do all the towns/cities on your original list with the short time you have, her new plan fits in just enough, although with just 2.5 days for Florence, I personally wouldn't eat up one of them for a day trip. Then again, maybe 1 full day in Florence will do ya.

Rome: 4 nights
Train to Orvieto: 1 night
Train to Florence: 3 nights - 1 day trip from here

If intent on a day trip, Pisa and Lucca can be done in a day. That's assuming all you want to do in Pisa is get a look at Campo dei Miracoli/belltower.

Florence > Pisa by train in abt. an hour, no train changes.
Pisa > Lucca in abt. 30 minutes, no train changes
Lucca > Florence in as little as 1 hr, 19 minutes, no train changes.

Your wife and children shouldn't have an issues with motion sickness on the trains. I have a very touchy stomach and trains have never bothered it whereas I can be miserable in the backseat of a car.

Posted by
4 posts

I think the idea above of staying in Orvieto is great. It's easy to take the train to Orvieto from Rome and fun to take the funicular up to the town from the train station. I took the underground tour and highly recommend it. Fun and interesting. Orvieto's cathedral is amazing and worth the trip alone.

Then basing yourself in Florence for the rest of your stay in Italy makes the most sense. With a day to go up to Pisa/Lucca. I love Lucca, but I'm not a fan of Pisa. Way to many tours and cruise ship tourists for my taste, but I understand wanting to see it.

Have you looked at taking the train to Switzerland? That's normally what I do, it can be cheaper, with lots of options for times and normally you only have to change in Milan.
Plus I love that the stations are all in the city centres and you don't have to worry about getting out to airports.

Posted by
16022 posts

Well, one could spend a lifetime deep-diving the details of Rome (!!!) but they'll get a good sample of it in 4 nights/ 3.5 days...which is what I personally consider the minimum for first-timers. At least they're giving it that! There are enough folks trying to push through it just one or two days! That sort of fat hurry can, and too often does, create negative impressions of a fascinating place. :O(

Posted by
11 posts

This is amazing!

Christine, Kathy and Katy - Thanks a lot for your suggestions and details on planning.

By looking at all the responses so far, I really think it make sense not to rush in seeing too many cities in Tuscany area. More or less the plan below seems to be suitable if I understand correctly:

1) Rome - 4 nights
2) Orvieto - 1 night on the way to Florence
3) Florence - 3 nights
4) Lucca - 1 day trip (Not very big fan of lust seeing monuments just for the sake of pictures/selfie and hence dropping Pisa if you think the town is crowded and not too much to explore)

I am assuming that Orvieto and Lucca are natural beauty locations and should be able to have some relax time.

Also, Katy I like the idea of going to Switzerland by train but I am not even sure as to what cities I should be visiting in Switzerland. I have posted in forum in 'Switzerland' folder. I am open for both (Flight & Train) based on cities that we will be visiting. we are planning to spend 3-4 days in Switzerland without traveling too much from places to places. I haven't received many responses yet the way I received for Italy travel but I am optimistic.

Wish you all a very happy and healthy new year!

Thanks
Manish

Posted by
6570 posts

Do you have to go to Switzerland? Do you have flights booked already?
Sounds like you’ll have just 4 nights there after Italy which again means only 3 full days.
Is it worth it?

I can think of dozens of ways to spend those 4 nights in Italy! ;)

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks Christine,

We originally thought about it we heard a lot about natural beauty in Switzerland and since we are in Italy we thought about covering Switzerland too. We may cover more than 4 days if there are good things to see in Switzerland.

Thanks

Posted by
16022 posts

Lucca: Yes, dropping Pisa and doing just this one would make for a less hurried day! Your young folks might especially enjoy a bike ride on the park-like bike/pedestrian path on top of the city walls? Some photos and reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187898-d2216105-Reviews-Le_mura_di_Lucca-Lucca_Province_of_Lucca_Tuscany.html

The walls from above:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/intoscana/8536046851

There are lots of rental businesses but the Tourist Center rental office is right in front of the train station, and they have 2-4 seater pedal surreys as well. Be sure to get helmets for your kids, if not for yourselves.

https://www.touristcenterlucca.com/index.php?lang=en

Posted by
122 posts

I think Christine's itinerary sounds great too. Also, I wonder why going all to the way to Switzerland for only four nights. I would stay in Italy and maybe explore the Dolomites or one of the Lakes in Northern Italy. The landscape is absolutely stunning. The Dolomites are especially unique, not like anything else I have ever seen .

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks a lot Christine, Sharon and Kathy

Now that we have so much to see in Italy, it's not a bad idea to spend entire time in Italy. I just have to run it through my family.

The lake is amazing.. I loved it.

Any suggestions in terms of Hotels in Rome and Florence?

Thanks
Manish

Posted by
6570 posts

Manish-
Go to booking.com.
Set your filters- price range, # beds/rooms, location, bkft yes or no? you will definitely want air conditioning, etc.
Read the reviews there as those reviews on booking.com can only be given by folks who have actually stayed at the hotel- (unlike trip advisor). Look at the map view to see exactly where the location is.
You can then go to the hotels actual website once you have some hotel names and see if they offer a better rate. I mostly book on booking.com but sometimes with actual hotel. Just depends.

For Rome- we prefer to be as central as possible so we can walk most everywhere- somewhere near Pantheon, Piazza Navonna, Campo d'Fiori

For Florence- it is so compact really anywhere near Duomo or train station or Ponte Vecchio.

For Orvieto- I do know Hotel Virgilio is well located and gets good mentions here.

Also do a search here on the forum for "Rome hotels" "Florence hotels", etc

Posted by
374 posts

I think you need to figure out what you want to see and do in each place -- your reason for going and the experience you're looking for, in other words.

• people on this site tend to love Rome; I don't. Three full days in Rome sounds good to me, and if it's really hot, you may be very glad to leave. I've been to Rome a number of times and I'm done and have no interest in ever returning (although I'd reconsider if I was travelling in winter when just being there was onerous due to the weather and throngs of tourists). It also depends on how interested you are in the sites there.

• I've been to Pisa several times because it's close to family. But why do you want to go? Really, it's just a photo op. There are more interesting ways to spend your day. As someone suggested, instead go to Lucca, rents bikes, and ride the wall (under 1 hour). Then go for pizza inside the walls.

• If you only have 4 days left for Switzerland, it will feel really rushed. Instead go to the Italian lakes (Maggiore or Como) and then fly out of Milan.

• San Gimignano is gorgeous, but there isn't a lot to do there other than hang out, shop, eat, etc. There is no train so go by bus or car.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Posted by
11 posts

Hello Christine, Thanks so much for your recommendation on hotel in Orvieto. My wife loved the look of the hotel :) I will do more reasearch as you suggested. Have a nice weekend.

Hello Nickeliini, I agree with you on Pisa. We already dropped it from our ITNRY. I understand what you suggested about Rome but my older son is interested in Roman history and I really want him to enjoy days in Rome without rush. I may form the same opinion if it's too hot but for sure I will explore this time.