Please sign in to post.

Puglia Visit June 2021

We are planning on trying to get to Italy in June 2021 as our trip this year was canceled... as so many others had to be! We are extending our stay for 10 days and are looking at a Masseria outside of Ostuni. We will then make a move toward Matera and then to Bovino before heading to Montepulciano area for a week. My question is....is Matera worthy of two nights? We would be arriving before noon and stay one night. I am SURE we could stay more than 2 as well..but am looking for some candid pointers. Does anyone have any suggestions for accommodations in Matera and/or Bovino. Thanks in advance! Be safe..stay healthy

Posted by
11156 posts

There are places in Puglia where I would add that extra day. We loved Puglia, not Matera , which is in Basilicata, so much.

Posted by
649 posts

Loved Matera- Had a guide(Giovanni) for 2 hours, it was most enlightening about the history of the town. We stayed 2nights as there is much to see- also take the time, to go to the Casa Nalo to see the film on the Sassi (that is the cave area that is slowly being restored). Also if you have time, take in the Truilli houses in Alberobello.

Posted by
312 posts

We stayed 2 nights but had a day and a half. We didn't need all of it. I enjoyed Matera and highly suggest you visit. Is it possible to arrive, check in to your hotel, walk around maybe book a guided tour, spend the night, check out the next morning, leave your luggage with the front desk, spend another couple of hours then head out to your next destination? How long you stay really does depend on how much and how long you wish to visit churches etc.

We stayed at Locanda di San Martino hotel. A fabulous place in the heart of the Sassi area

Posted by
11156 posts

It is interesting to walk among the cave buildings/houses, near the history, but I wouldn’t want to spend a lot of time there when such beauty in Puglia is nearby.

Posted by
4375 posts

I have had two two-night visits to Matera and could easily spend a week in the area. The town is more entertaining than you might assume given the size--lovely views, lovely restaurants, fascinating history. I'm assuming you will have a car, and if so, you might want to read up on the area so you'll know an appropriate amount of time to devote. There are mountain areas nearby.
I stayed in Torretta ai Sassi both times and highly recommend it--great hosts, views, breakfasts. We did a sassi tour with Antonio from Matera Tour Guides--he also offers hiking tours among cave churches.
If you do a day trip, Craco is really interesting.
Overall I think a week for the Itria Valley area and a few days for Matera area and the drive north sounds about right.

Posted by
365 posts

Puglia my favorite! Ostuni is a cute little seaside area but not much to do. As are most little towns in the area. A day in Alberobello is also sufficient. Tour the trulli's have lunch and back to wherever. We rented a car in Sorrento drove to Cisternino for 8 nights and was never bored. It was close to most everything and very charming area. A car is necessary. La Fogliarella resort was the best very quiet and it had a pool which was great for late afternoon swim to cool off and then have an aperitif. The host Melania was pleasant, helpful and got us out of a "situation" that she wasn't obligated to assist. I used the resort as my base to visit the region. I did take a train from Cisternino station to Lucca for a day. Driving and parking wasn't a problem in most towns. We drove to Fasano to the conferama to get staple items for the apartment. Also be aware that most towns everything is closed on Sundays. Plan on that being your "down day" just what you need mid vacation.

After Puglia we drove towards Rome. I cant remember the town near Naples that we stayed just for the night . Then 3 nights in Rome before returning to Connecticut.

Have a wonderful time.

Lorie