Please sign in to post.

Puglia or Sicily?

Planning a trip for June '24. We have 5 nights in Praiano reserved but deciding between a week in the Puglia area or Sicily. I am learning towards Puglia as getting to Sicily appears time consuming. Has anyone traveled on the overnight ferry from Salerno to Palermo? Our sons are both in Bavaria, Germany and the plan is to end there for 5-7 days and fly out of Munich. We love Italy and it is often our destination of choice. I think Sicily could be a longer destination to enjoy than a week.

Any thoughts?

Posted by
8619 posts

If it helps, Lufthansa flies non-stop Munich to Palermo, last time I looked.

Posted by
11367 posts

We spent a little more than two weeks in Sicily and could have used more time. I would cancel Praiano and add those days to what you are thinking of for Sicily. You will be happier with this plan.
Or spend that larger amount of time in Puglia. We loved our ten days in Polignano a Mare. Rent a car in both destinations. We combined these two destinations, flew from Bari to Palermo on Volotea. Fabulous experiences!

Posted by
2063 posts

Puglia would be more relaxing. There are many interesting towns, including the coastal towns and Lecce.. There are flights from Bari to Munich.

Posted by
2216 posts

I'm another one who believes Sicily needs more time (and Puglia as well, for that matter). My husband and I made two trips to Sicily (basically one for the east side and one for the west) for a total of five weeks. We still didn't cover everything we would like to have seen. We were doing it by public transportation, however, which adds time.

Posted by
4603 posts

If you had one or two destinations in mind for Sicily, it need not be too much more time-consuming: private transfer to Naples, flight to Palermo or Catania (I would not do the ferrry with such a short time frame). But I would also save Sicily for a larger chunk of time and I think it would be much easier to rent a car in Salerno and drive around a bit of Puglia. Drop car in Brindisi or Bari, which should both have flights to Munich. I've flown to Bari on Lufthansa twice.