Please sign in to post.

Puglia in December

Hello!

My family is heading to Puglia (+Matera) for Christmas. We already have 2 nights in Bari because we'll be flying in there and 3 nights in Matera (though really only 2 full days as I have a full day tour booked for us in between Bari and Matera).

Outside of Christmas (during which we plan to have a traditional lunch at our agriturismo and relax), we have 4 days I want to use to explore some of the smaller towns. Our agriturismo is just south of Monopoli so I'm looking for recommendations for those 4 days (ie, Ostuni, Lecce, etc). We will have a car but I'd like to keep the drive to about 70 mins.

So ultimately, what cities would you recommend? I know there are beautiful beach towns in the area but I am assuming (maybe wrongfully so) that there wouldn't be much to do there in December.

Thank you in advance!

Posted by
4713 posts

To make sure I have it straight:
Flying into Bari - one day there
Matera - three nights
to agriturismo near Monopoli - 4 nights
And you are looking for places to visit while at the agriturismo within an hour or so drive?
Lecce for sure. One day I would explore the Itria Valley (to which I include Ostuni, several villages to stop in), one day will be Christmas, so you have one other day.
For a museum fan, I would suggest Taranto (check opening times for archaeology museum), maybe a stop in Grottaglie for a pottery fan.
Yes I would dispense any notion of beaches, but there is a nice park if you have a sunny day: Parco Naturale Regionale Dune Costiere da Torre Canne a Torre San Leonardo
There is a cave complex you can tour at Grotte di Castellana.

Could you tell us what is on the tour between Bari and Matera?

Posted by
8 posts

2 nights Bari (though I'd nearly toss 1 out as we will have an incredibly long flight schedule to get there and will probably immediately collapse into bed)
3 nights in Matera (ending on Christmas eve with mass in one of the churches)
5 nights Agriturismo (tentatively Sorelle Barnaba) with Christmas our first night

en route from Bari to Matera I have earmarked either a short Grotte di Castellana tour (50 min) + local winery stop (Masseria La Cattiva, possibly) or the 'Bread experience' at Forno Antico Forno Santa Caterina dal 1391 which runs 9:30-2

Posted by
4713 posts

Oh neat, I thought maybe the tour involved Altamura (I missed stopping there on my two visits but want to get back one day), and glad I was somewhat on track with the cave suggestion!

I have found some interesting things on this webpage:
https://imaginapulia.com/

Posted by
8 posts

oooh thank you both!!

I was in Matera for a couple days last year with a friend (partly why I'm dragging my family there for my second time) but did not see the crypt. Does look to be a bit of a journey (my dad will be 70) but I bet I can find a tour that makes it easy on you.

Again thank you!