Please sign in to post.

Puglia

We plan on staying in Lecce. Any suggestion of excursions, restaurants. Any help at all. New to this

Posted by
1920 posts

Check out experience-path.com. They offer all kinds of excursions — we did a wine-tasting excursion from Lecce with them. Also check Viator — they have several options.

If you don’t have a car, you can take a train from Lecce to Gallipoli or to Otranto for day trips.

Be aware that the tourist infrastructure (trains, buses) in Puglia is not as easy to use as in more frequently visited parts of Italy.

Also be aware that everything in Lecce shuts down from about 2 pm until 6 pm — all stores, restaurants, offices. Restaurants do not reopen until 8 pm so plan accordingly.

Posted by
41 posts

Try https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/lecce-italy-travel-guide/ for info on Lecce. RS Italy doesn’t cover Puglia. I looked at various Puglia tours (with walks) advertised by different companies and planned our own trip. We visited Lecce Oct 2019 for 2 nights, stayed at a comfortable room found through booking.com. No breakfast but a couple of interesting local cafes frequented by ‘locals’. We had a car but parked it as we came in (didn’t want to drive into the old town) and walked to our Room, got the keys and drove the car to their parking lot. Booking.com gives a map showing location which I supplemented using Google maps. We didn’t use the car for the next 2 days. Food was good at a couple of restaurants in the old section. I also use Tripadvisor for restaurants. Ask the manager of your accommodation for recommendations close to your room. Relax and go with the flow.