Please sign in to post.

Puglia

We are planning a trip to Puglia in September. I would appreciate and advice, itineraries, hotels, restaurants. Things not to miss. We will be staying 10-12 days.

Posted by
2788 posts

Gregg posted a great trip report “Bella Puglia...” a few days ago. It should help you. Tongue in cheek but some good info. Enjoy your trip. Puglia’s on my bucket list.

Posted by
1133 posts

We used the Lonely Planet guide and thought it was helpful. The Puglia region is beautiful and less-visited by English-speaking tourists. We especially enjoyed visiting the Gargano Peninsula and Polignano a Mare. We went in September and the weather was great but in the coastal towns many restaurants and places on the beach itself (chair rental, changing rooms, etc) closed for the season at the end of August. If you don't speak Italian you should learn a few simple phrases since you'll encounter a fair number of merchants that don't speak English.

Posted by
71 posts

I highly recommend a meal at Ristorante Grotta Palazzese in Polignano a Mare. We had lunch there and it was beautiful, even during a storm. The food and wine were excellent.

Nearby Puglia I also recommend a day trip to Alberobello and Matera. If you can stay a few nights in the Sassi di Matera, I highly recommend it. We stayed at Hotel Sant'Angelo and enjoyed the cave hotel rooms and the excellent meals.

Enjoy! It is a beautiful part of Italy.

Posted by
27230 posts

Lecce is a beautiful Baroque city that doesn't close at the end of summer. I liked the walking tour conducted by the tourist office but can't guarantee that it will be offered in September.

Posted by
20 posts

We did Puglia this past summer and had a great time. We flew in from Bari, staying at a wonderful agriturismo in the Alberobello area called Serragambetta. This was in striking distance of all the sights and towns in that area, Alberobello, Martina Franca and Locortondo which I found charming. We passed Ostnui, which I regret, but stayed for a long while in Otranto which was really cool, with a decent city beach. If you stay close to the center you can walk to the beach during the day, and then have a wonderfully vibrant passeggiata scene at night. We did Lecce for a day, but I recommend it for longer - a truly gorgeous city.

Also we stayed for a week at a Masseria outside Gallipoli, which was nice, but unfortunately a bit sterile. Coupled with the unfortunate die-off of most of the olive groves the landscape in that area is quite barren. Gallipoli was a nice for a day trip, but felt too touristy to linger. What was great about the location was striking distance to the wonderful beaches. The Maldive di Salento, while the most popular spot, really delivered. Further south Leuca is gorgeous, and interesting to be at the tip of the boot, but perhaps only a day trip.

Do not miss a trip to Matera, well worth 3-4 days at least. Its a magical place to get lost in.

Almost forgot Monopoli which was really charming, along with its very scenic neighbor Polignano a Mare. These city beaches are not as nice as those in the south, but the views with the rocks and caves are really special.

Have fun!