Please sign in to post.

Puglia

planning a trip to Bari,lecce,Martina Franca and Ostuni and surrounding areas by train.
Any recommendations of placing to stay central or great things to do.
Plan to go to Alberobello and Matera.
Thank you

Posted by
7657 posts

Hi Janet,

I’m just in the very beginning stages of planning a trip to this area for next June, so I bookmarked your post. Hopefully some helpful info will be shared. I’ll also be traveling by train or the occasional bus.

Posted by
3812 posts

If it wasn't fragmented between Trenitalia, local and private (!) railway companies the train system in Puglia would be quite good.
Unfortunately it is and on Sundays local and private companies adapt their offer to the local demand of trains, aka: zero.

So the problem is finding who runs the train from A to B in Puglia and, on Sundays, where the @#$!! replacement Bus stops. Do not expect US-style bus stops with lights, marching bands, volunteers asking "how are you?" and laser effects: there will be a sign on a light pole with the company's logo.

Coming to the point:

• Lecce, Bari, Monopoli, Ostuni and Polignano are served by Trenitalia. No problems here.
  • Martina Franca is served by FSE, luckily FSE has become a sister company of Trenitalia. The FSE schedules are displayed on trenitalia.com/en.html
  • Bari airport is served by a local train run by Ferrotramviaria, their station in Bari is connected to Trenitalia's station, Bari Centrale.
  • Matera is served by FAL, they have their own station in Bari facing Bari Centrale. Unless things have changed there are no direct trains from Bari to Matera, a change in Altamura is always needed. If I'm not wrong there are direct buses from the airport.
Posted by
367 posts

spent 10 days in puglia in june 2022. i based in bari for 6 days and lecce for 4. as dario says there are multiple train companies serving puglia, especially in the north. i found them very convenient and easy to navigate. from bari i visited barletta, trani, biseglie, molfetta andira, ruvo di puglia, bitonto, bitetto, palo del colle, altamura and gravina, all were day trips by trains. i had to transfer to a bus only once i believe.

from lecce's i visited, brindisi, galatina, gallipoli. ostuni, and otranto.

i avoided alberbello. matera lived up to its reputation.

i loved puglia. similar in feel to sicily, easier to get around by public transportation than calabria. incredibly photogenic and less crowded. hope this helps.

if you like, take a look at my trip photos at the following link: https://pixelsandmemories.myportfolio.com/.

Posted by
29 posts

Hi Janet,
We just returned from our Italy trip (including Puglia). In Ostuni we stayed at Masseria Cervarolo. What a beautiful place! Would go back in a heartbeat. Amazing people, food and location - highly recommended!!
Julia

Posted by
3 posts

thank you for the recommendation I will check it out. did you go to Martina Franca and if so where did you stay.

Posted by
2257 posts

We did Puglia by public transportation and I found the best information for that in the Lonely Planet guidebook.