Please sign in to post.

Private transfer recommendations

I’m trying to find a driver to take us from Rome to Siena as we have mobility issues. $500 to $800 to do this. Anyone have a recommendation for a cheaper private option? Cannot take bus. Thanks.

Posted by
16007 posts

Off topic, sorry, but I see from a prior post that you've booked tickets for the underground of the Colosseum in Rome? That area isn't cut out for visitors with mobility limitations. The "Walks Of Italy" website states this:

"Unfortunately due to the nature of this tour it is not suitable for guests with mobility impairments, or for wheelchairs or strollers. Please contact the Guest Experience team at [email protected] or call +39 068-596-0143 (Italy) or 888-683-8670 (USA) to make alternative arrangements."

The official website for the Colosseum may state something similar, although I can't get into it right now as it's non-operable during the hours the Colosseum (+ forum and Palatine) is closed.

Let's just say that I'm concerned that if you can't manage getting on and off a bus, that you may be in for some sightseeing trouble where stairs elsewhere are concerned. As well, not all hotels have lifts, and restaurant restrooms may be down a flight of stairs in the basement. Just how limiting are your combined mobility challenges?

Private drivers are not inexpensive as gas is more costly in Europe than in the US, and Rome> Siena is about a 3-hour drive. That doesn't include the driver having to return home to Rome with an empty car (or the other way around).

Posted by
5018 posts

Check out Rome Cabs' web site. They are a private car company despite the name, and we've used them a number of time to and from the Rome airport. They do (or did) some trips as you describe, but not sure exactly where the go. If you send them a email detailing your needs, you should get a response within 24 hours.