Please sign in to post.

Private tour guide in Rome

Recommendations for a private tour guide in Rome in September 2024

Posted by
11636 posts

Personal endorsement for Sonia Tavoletta mentioned above. Superb!!

Posted by
91 posts

RS does recommend private tour guides (& son & I used one on a specific all day wine tour from Dubrovnik), but I suggest you research and plan --not over plan--an adventure on your own. Of course that may not be for everyone. Serendipity makes for an exciting, meaningful trip.

If you feel you need the security of a guide, go for it.

Personally, going on my 3rd RS tour and having traveled to Europe 14 other times, I am calculating & planning my time away from the tour: going with my personal plan (see the art !) Using common sense & funds I have as I'm only old once, I don't want a tour guide talking while I'm in the moment. I know my art & am looking to know more.

But that's me. A guide may be beneficial to your needs, but don't, in my opinion, get one just for the security or trepidation of being on your own. Whatever you decide, say Hi as we pass. ab

Posted by
78 posts

I’m not sure if you’re looking for specific sites or the entire city, but we had very good experiences with LivTours at the Colosseum and Vatican. They offer a large variety of tours but they’re all either small groups or private.