Please sign in to post.

Pristine Sistine

So many people have said they loved the Pristine Sistine tour of the Vatican with Walks of Italy so I booked it. But I am not a morning person and we have to get there by 7:00 AM. So was thinking of rescheduling a tour for later. Since we will be there October 1 I’m assuming the crowds won’t be so bad like in the summer months. Is it really too crowded later? Opinions please.

Posted by
16893 posts

October 1 is not low season. I'm not a morning person, either, but since you already scored the reservation, I'd try to keep it. If you're not sleeping in that neighborhood, then spring for a taxi to probably save time over public transport.

Posted by
6108 posts

I am not a morning person at all. But when I need to be, I suck it up and get up and get going. The benefits outweigh the early wake up call.
We did the Pristine Sistine and so very glad we did. After the tour of museums we headed back thru the chapel to get to Basilica and the crowds in the chapel were unbelievable- wall to wall- shoulder to shoulder- it was actually frightening. I don't think it is ever not crowded at the Sistine chapel- the least crowded time will always be right when it opens for those early am tours.
The museum was also a crushing crowd and that was just after our early entry to Sistine- this was in Sept.

Take a cab to the meeting point and try to keep this tour. Plan a break/nap this day - we were not finished in the area till about 1 PM I think? We walked back to our hotel near Pantheon and took a short nap.

Posted by
2455 posts

Ditto. Pristine Sistine with Walks of Italy was terrific, avoided the big crowds, and left me the afternoon and evening to do other things. I was staying near Termini, and took a short early walk to the Metro, and another short early walk from the Metro to the tour meeting point. Actually, it was nice to wake during these semi-light walks, as the sleepy city was also waking up.

Posted by
15827 posts

Kathy, please listen up to Laura, Christine and Larry's wise advice: October is still high season in Rome!

The museums/Sistine were a zoo in Oct. way back in 2007 when we did them. I swore never again unless we booked a way around that mess (we skipped the museums entirely on the next Rome trip). An early-entrance tour is your way of seeing the Sistine and some of the museums before it's insanity in there. So keep your tickets, bite the bullet and get up at crack of dawn.

Depending on where your hotel is, an early morning walk to the museums might get your eyes open. Rome is also lovely in the early mornings when most tourists are still in bed: well worth rolling out at dawn for. :O)

Posted by
11294 posts

"Since we will be there October 1 I’m assuming the crowds won’t be so bad like in the summer months."

When it comes to crowds at the Vatican Museums, there are only two levels - bad and worse. Even if it's not as bad as in July and August, it won't be empty, or even decent, on October 1.

I agree with everyone else. Even if you're not a morning person, for this it's worth the extra hassle and effort.

I saw the Vatican Museums in September 1994. Even then, the crowds and the tension made enjoying and appreciating the Sistine Chapel impossible. If I ever go again, it will be before or after the regular hours. If I can't get one of these, I won't go at all. So, as Laura says, consider yourself lucky that you were able to snag a spot on the Pristine Sistine tour, and can actually enjoy your time there.

Posted by
51 posts

Thank you all so much. We will be staying at the Navona Queen Rooftop which isn’t such a long walk from St Peter’s Square so yes I think an early morning walk could be really nice. I will listen to you and just set my alarm.

Posted by
610 posts

I dont think you'll regret it! It was a great tour, and it was unbelievably packed when we left, and we went in the middle of October. Have a great trip!

Posted by
15827 posts

We will be staying at the Navona Queen Rooftop which isn’t such a long
walk from St Peter’s Square

Kathy, double check the meeting point for this tour? My guess is that it'll be near the entry to the Vatican Museums and not in St Peter's Square. The museum entrance is on Viale Vaticano, which is a 15-minute or so walk from St Peter's Square. Reference a map for where they tell you the meeting point is so that you give yourself enough time?

Posted by
471 posts

I'm signed up to do this tour in October. Here is the info on the meeting point - Meeting Point: This tour meets at the green bar called l'Ottagono on Piazza del Risorgimento. We meet just outside the green bar in the middle of Piazza del Risorgimento Square.

Posted by
404 posts

Ditto to everything above. Our guide told us the Vatican doesn't have a low season. And they don't want to put daily limits on tickets because it's above all a religious site and they don't want to restrict people coming from countries that have less reliable internet. I think all the tour groups meet at the place Leslie mentions close to the museum entry and has a cafe and a bathroom. They'll all have signs.

But if you can, get up a little extra early (it's only one day) and start at St. Peter's Square. You'll get to see it with no one but a few other early risers, photographers, and security. After the museum, our tour moved through the basilica fairly quickly (not too rushed though) to be able to see the changing of the guards at 11. We were kept behind the secure area so we could go back in or up to the cupola is we wanted. At that time the guide pointed out the line to get through the basilica security and estimated it was a 2 hour wait. The tour and early get up will be worth it.

For lunch if you're still awake, you could go the well-known Bonci Pizzarium behind the Vatican. If you walk towards the Cipro metro stop there will be a water bottle filler where you can choose still or sparkling (!) water.

Posted by
15827 posts

This tour meets at the green bar called l'Ottagono on Piazza del
Risorgimento.

Great! That's sort of midway between St Peter's Square and the museum entrance. If walking from S.P. Square, you'd head straight north on Via del Mascherino, passing through the arches in the Vatican's Passetto wall, and you'll walk right into it after a few short blocks. In fact, from the point where you'll pass through the wall, you can see where the street ends at the piazza (I just did a virtual walk). You can reach it from the square using Via di Porta Angelica as well.

The "green bar" l'Ottagono does indeed sit in the middle of the piazza, near the eastern end, and is octagonal in shape: will be very easy to find!

Check that your meeting place is the same, Kathy?

Posted by
51 posts

Yes I will check the meeting point. Thank you for all your help. I also have tickets on Wednesday morning to go back for the Papal Audience. I guess that will be another early morning. Has anyone done that too? I have the choice of attending the Papal Audience or leaving early by train to go to Pompeii before heading to Sorrento. I don’t think I can do both in one day before going to Sorrento but not sure if going back to the Vatican to get a glimpse of the Pope Is preferable to going to Pompeii.

Posted by
6108 posts

Well that’s a tough decision
I am a great admirer of Pope Francis but I think I’d pick Pompeii
There is simply nowhere comparable it is a fascinating amazing sight and I don’t think I could just pass it by

Will you have another opportunity to go to Pompeii while in Sorrento?

Posted by
15827 posts

I'd opt for Pompeii. As Rome will be very busy and I've a feeling your itinerary is heavy on main attractions, dealing with YET another big crowd of people wouldn't excite me much. Pompeii will also be very busy and likely very warm - try to be out of there before the mid afternoon heat - but, well, you'll end the day in Sorrento. Oct. evenings cooled down nicely when we were there.

Posted by
51 posts

No I won’t have another opportunity to go to Pompeii but I was thinking how do I go to Rome and not see the Pope? I could try to get to the Angelus on Sunday if I leave Florence for Rome on a very early train but doubt I would get there in time.

Posted by
144 posts

We did Pristine Sistine two years ago in July. It is hard to fathom how crowded it is even in the early morning tours. There were thousands of people even at 7:00 am. I would not bet on it being that much better in October. It's a great tour and we had an awesome guide. Set your alarm and do it. Then you have the rest of the day to enjoy!

Posted by
238 posts

Yes -definitely don't change it

Even though you are going in what could be considered shoulder season, it will be crowded.

We visited in mid March (would be considered off season) and we did a First Entry to the SC and had to meet at Cafe Vaticano at 7:10am. This was after flying into Rome the day before. It was awesome to see the Vatiacan Museum and SC empty but you knew when it was 9am and by 10am the placed was crowded.