Please sign in to post.

power converter

I have an international converter with multi adapters, but I have seen where Italy has some 3 prong outlets because they are grounded. Can I use a 2 prong or am I going to have to buy a 3 prong? Thanks for your help.

Posted by
2876 posts

Best to use a grounded adapter. Rick's travel store - just click the Travel Store tab above and go to 'accessories' - is currently selling them for a buck.

Posted by
3 posts

look's like Rick sells 2 prong for Italy, the pic of the 3 prong is for GB.

Posted by
16283 posts

I don't know if this is the "right" answer, but we used 2-pin plug adaptors in both types of outlets (2- or 3-pin) in Italy last june and had no troubles. All our chargers and electronics stayed healthy.

Posted by
2207 posts

For most appliances you'll bring with you, the 2-prong plug will work fine. Living in Rome for 3+ years we rarely used the 3-prong adapters. This link might help clear up some confusion: http://tinyurl.com/italy-power

Posted by
23268 posts

You mentioned a converter but talked about adapter plugs. Make sure you know the difference, need a converter, and, if needed, the converter matches your wattage requirements. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT !!!

Posted by
927 posts

If you are staying in older renovated hotels, the Ground most likely isn't connected to anything any way. Use the two prong.

Posted by
668 posts

Todd: Clear up the converter/adapter point first. An adapter takes the current from one type of pin to another. A converter changes the voltage - usually 220 - 110 Volts. If your appliances are 110-220v then they will work without a converter. If they are 110V only, then you need the convertor. Be careful. You need one which will carry the wattage of the appliance, make sure they are sufficient. Also convertors can be dangerous for some electronics depending on how they work. Make sure you have one which will not wreck your equipment. Your question about 2 or 3 pins. Do the appliances you are going to use have 2 or 3 pins? If thyey only have two pins, then the 2 pin adapter is definitely all you need. In most cases you can get by without the ground as someone else said.

Posted by
32212 posts

Todd, as the others have said, it's extremely important to first clarify what type of devices you're describing, either PLUG ADAPTERS or VOLTAGE CONVERTERS. You might want to check EACH appliance that you'll be travelling with, to determine whether you even need to pack a Voltage Converter. Look for a "nameplate" on the charger or power supplies, and the words "Input Voltage". If these specify "100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz" then you'll only need inexpensive Plug Adapters. Most Chargers these days only have two pins, so a 2-pin Plug Adapter will work fine. I normally travel with both grounded (3-pin) and ungrounded (2-pin) Plug Adapters, as they're not large, heavy or expensive. That way I've got all eventualities covered. If you could provide some additional information on what type of appliances you'll be travelling with, it would be easier to provide more specific information. Happy travels!

Posted by
3 posts

I am taking a converter, which will handle all my stuff wattage wise, because when I went to Scotland and used just an adapter plug my wife's hair dryer got smoked even though it should have been ok. I just don't want to take any chances and smoke my phone/laptop etc. Everything I am taking just has 2 prong's on the plug so I should be ok. Thanks for everyone's help.

Posted by
668 posts

Todd: Your last post really confuses me. In the UK ALL plugs have 3 pins. The only exception are ones in the wash room for electric razors. I highly doubt that your wife's hairdryer AUTOMATICALLY accepted different voltages. If it was dual voltage there would be a switch on it to select the voltage and if it was on 110 then it would be fried. If you insist on using a converter with electronic devices - computers, cell phones, iPods, etc, make sure it is the correct type or you may damage them. I do not profess to be an expert on the convertors, but I do know there are two types and the cheaper ones should not be used for electronics.

Posted by
32212 posts

Todd, "I am taking a converter, which will handle all my stuff wattage wise". To elaborate on Iain's post, it's VERY IMPORTANT that you use the correct type of Voltage Converter with electronic products such as Phone and Laptop Chargers! A Transformer-type Converter with a capacity of 50-watts is the proper type for electronics. The fact that you specified that your Converter will "handle all my stuff wattage wise" seems to indicate that you plan on using a solid-state Converter. While this may work at times with electronics, it's NOT recommended and may in fact damage your appliances. Good luck!