Please sign in to post.

Post-tour itinerary

I will complete a RS Heart of Italy tour early May and plan on traveling on my own for a couple of weeks. Considering more of CT, Tuscany or Sicily. I will be done with cities at that point.I want to feel safe and welcome as a solo female, avoiding any huge crowds but not wanting to be away from it all either. Any suggestions?

Posted by
11613 posts

If you can stand the suspense, you might wait until you finish the tour and decide if there are a couple of places you would like to spend more time. You can make reservations through a booking service, even at the last minute.

Do you plan to rent a car or use public transportation?

At that time of year there will be crowds everywhere, at least during the day.

I would consider some time at one of the lakes or on the Amalfi Coast, and/or a couple of towns like Cortona, Todi, Assisi.

Posted by
16893 posts

Are you willing to drive, to reach more small towns of Tuscany and Umbria? This October, I drove a route of small towns in those regions and did not book any rooms until the day of arrival. Rick's Italy book covers plenty to keep you busy for two weeks. See the hill town map on p. 615 for a good overview of what's served by train vs. bus. That map teases you with a few that are not described further in the book, such as Gubbio, Spello, and Perugia (bigger) in Umbria.