Please sign in to post.

Positano port closure! April 2023

Apologies if this has already been posted but I've not seen it.

It appears that they're doing construction work on the dock in Positano and there will be no ferry/hydrofoil service to or from that town until the beginning of May. Exact date public boat service will resume may be TBD so keep an eye on the website:

https://www.positano.com/en/ferry-schedule

Looks like the same has been posted to a Positano public FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2362512181

Not great news for travelers basing there next month. :O(
I'd guess this will increase the numbers of tourists heading for Sorrento, Amalfi and other locations around the coast which WILL have boat service, especially sightseers wanting to go to Capri. That's just speculatin', tho.

Posted by
6104 posts

I wonder if the dock will be improved or enlarged making future ferry travel to/from Positano not so undependable

Posted by
4119 posts

Thanks for the info. I'm not even there yet and have to work on plan B.

Posted by
1949 posts

And...not accusing Italians because I am one--

But 'beginning of May' for a Positano dock finish could extend longer--it just happens that way sometimes. Can't imagine that there wouldn't be heavy pressure from the government that it be finished by whenever high season starts, although May I hear was quite busy in 2022 and we weren't quite done with Covid yet. So, this May portends to be kind of bolloxed up. Extra ferries into Amalfi-town & Sorrento put more burden on the SITA bus system, taxis, that charter bus from Sorrento station to Naples airport, everything.

Posted by
15827 posts

Oh Allan! I'm so sorry this throws a wrench in your trip! :O(

Jay, (Hi Jay!!!!) I'll agree 100% not to lay money on the thing being operational again by May 1, although as you say, I'm sure there's pressure to get 'er done ASAP. Nope, the timing definitely is not optimal, and it'll be interesting to see how it affects the larger transport situation.

Posted by
1949 posts

And although I've never experienced it firsthand, having twice visited the A.C. only in March, that gridlock because of basically one way on to the peninsula and one way off, the reports are that of which my whole feeling about the Amalfi Coast would be changed, and not for the better.

The second time we took the SITA bus over from Sorrento (BTW, the most functional town on the A.C. hands down) we accidentally got off a stop early & walked into a basically deserted Positano. Found maybe the one cafe open, sat outside and was in heaven. And I remember looking at the pier and thinking, that ain't very big.

Posted by
64 posts

Hi all. Today, April 13, I got a reply from "Travelmar" which handles the ferries and the dock in Positano. It appears it will open this weekend and then be open from April 22 onward:

Travelmar
Hello! It will be open this weekend and then from April 22 🙂

Posted by
4119 posts

Good news. I have a friend that is there right now and she says the traffic is crazy because everyone is driving or taking the bus. Hopefully this takes some of the load off the roads by the time we arrive on Sunday.