Please sign in to post.

Positano

What is the scoop on Positano? I had read some mixed reviews of Positano not being a great place for kids, but there looks like there is a big beach in the center of it, and the kids would love that. (They're 7 & 8) Looking at some of the pictures of the town there are some hotels close to the shore and then ones that although are stunning, too high up for us. Are there lots of places to eat and how many days do you think we could stay there? I was thinking that could be our base for Amalfi, Naples, Pompeii, and Capri. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Posted by
811 posts

the town is very pretty with a great church, a beach and many shops and restaurants. you better be prepared to walk some steep stairs in that part of italy or to shell out good money. you can use it as base for amalfi coast, but not pompeii or naples, these 2 are better with sorrento.

Posted by
11 posts

I would use Sorrento as your base of travel for the southern region. Positano is not for kids. There are shops and restaurants but not a very kid friendly town. The beach is quite small and crowded. You'd do better in Sorrento as you can use the boats, trains, buses to get around the coast and up to Naples.

Posted by
30 posts

We stayed in a hotel on the beach.....there are 250-300 steps up to the top. But, the hotel takes your luggage down to the beach....it was great....kids playing, you take boat tours from there, Our hotel had an amazing breakfast buffet.....and there was pizza restaurant and gellato down on the beach....Our hotel had a pool overlooking the ocean.........We loved it. Marilee

Posted by
241 posts

Stayed in Positano 3 days in May. Not a great town for kids. Beach is small pebbles, not sand.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks you guys for your help! We ended up reserving a place for 3 nights that is just moments outside of Sorrento. It's called Sorrento Villa Garden Hotel. This is the "In Italy" website and it looks wonderful.
www.initaly.com/agri/hotels/svgarden/svgarden.htm

It has a pool for the kids & I figured we could take boat trips to Capri (maybe swim there) and Positano, and taxi to Amalfi or, if we're brave, visit Naples (I don't know if we want to spend any time there. It seems odd to miss Naples, but I'd rather spend more time visiting the other areas near Sorrento then rush around and get glimpses of everything.) This hotel is privately owned and they will set up all these trips for you which seems nice. It got good reviews on Trip Advisor. I ended up making our "beach trip" our trip to Cinque Terre and we're staying one town south called Lerici. Its a beachy town and apparently that's where the Italians go for a holiday. We're excited!

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks you guys for your help! This is my solution (I hope...)

We ended up reserving a place for 3 nights that is just moments outside of Sorrento. It's called Sorrento Villa Garden Hotel. This is the "In Italy" website and it looks wonderful.
www.initaly.com/agri/hotels/svgarden/svgarden.htm

It has a pool for the kids & I figured we could take boat trips to Capri (maybe swim there) and Positano, and taxi to Amalfi or, if we're brave, visit Naples (I don't know if we want to spend any time there. It seems odd to miss Naples, but I'd rather spend more time visiting the other areas near Sorrento then rush around and get glimpses of everything.) This hotel is privately owned and they will set up all these trips for you which seems nice. It got good reviews on Trip Advisor. I ended up making our "beach trip" our trip to Cinque Terre and we're staying one town south called Lerici. Its a beachy town and apparently that's where the Italians go for a holiday. We're excited!