Please sign in to post.

Pompeii or Herculaneum?

I'm traveling to Rome in October and want to take a day trip to either Pompeii or Herculaneum. Which one should I choose?
- I have seen the famous plaster casts of Pompeii (they were on tour of U.S. museums years ago).
- I will be near the end of a fairly rigorous trip.
- I would like to spend some time - a few hours - exploring Naples as well.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Posted by
1626 posts

I have been to both and if I could only see one it would be Pompeii. It is just so much bigger and impressive.

Posted by
896 posts

I have been to both and like both very much. Pompeii is much bigger (and therefore takes longer). Most of the best loot from Pompeii is in the Museum in Naples anyway, including many frescoes and tile floors. If you know you will be tired and want a "day trip" then Herculaneum and a visit to the Naples museum may be a good combination.

Posted by
4425 posts

I enjoyed Pompeii more than Herculaneum, but if it's only a day trip and you want to explore Naples as well, I'd choose Herculaneum which is significantly smaller, and closer to Naples.

Posted by
657 posts

... and maybe also consider Villa Oplontis in nearby Torre Anunziata. Faaaaaar fewer crowds.
Also fwiw, Positano's church has a newly-discovered modest collection of Roman frescos available for public viewing in its basement.
I am done. the end

Posted by
1014 posts

I think they’re both pretty amazing and unique from each other. The bigger issue is doing this as a day trip, which is always considered a stretch though doable. You’re clearly concerned about doing this at the end of a rigorous schedule. This is valid. A Pompeii day trip will require an early start, a long day, and a lot of walking without a great shot at a break. It can be draining, and while the crowds in October may not be bad, you’ll be stuck visiting during its peak hours.

Herculaneum may be easier. It’s a little closer, but it’s also smaller. Visiting is a bit less daunting, and then depending on how you feel, some time and food in Naples are still on the table.

Another popular alternative is Ostia Antica. I haven’t visited, but the general consensus seems to be that it’s underrated and a decent stand-in.

If I were you, I would not make any concrete plans until you’re there. Unless you’re planning on a guided tour, there’s nothing that requires booking ahead of time. With three options of varying difficulty, you can decide what you have the energy for.