Please sign in to post.

Pompeii day trip from Rome

We will be in Rome in November from Thursday afternoon until Tuesday morning.
Am I trying to squeeze too much in to take a day trip on Sunday to Pompeii?
It's a long day so just want to make sure it's worth the visit. How does it compare
to the rest of Rome and what we'll see there.

Posted by
7737 posts

So you have four days to see things in Rome, right? What are your interests?

Pompeii is a long day trip, but doable. An easier option without the dramatic back story is Ostia Antica, much closer to Rome and about the same overall size as Pompeii.

You might keep those two options in your back pocket if you find that you want a break from Rome, but don't lock yourself into anything in advance. After all, it might rain.

Posted by
84 posts

That's a good idea...do you think I can book a tour last minute in Pompeii?

Posted by
1949 posts

You probably can, but a more fun--but a little risky--way to do it is to just hire a guide on the spot at the Pompei Scavi entrance. Scout out the area, and pick one from the number of hawkers out there. I'd do my research beforehand on things to see, but for maybe 20 Euro it's fun to walk around with a local. If he's terrible, all you've lost is 20 Euro. If he's great, you got a great deal!

Posted by
84 posts

There are 5 of us so not sure I'd want to leave it to the last minute like that...but we'll see.
But otherwise you think it's a worthwhile trip? I'll look into the other spot too.

Posted by
11189 posts

Not knowing what the rest of your trip includes, I think using a day for Pompeii may not be the best use of your limited time. I have been to both Ostia Antica and Pompeii and while both will expose you to ancient Roman life, each has its unique qualities.

The other question is what do you have planned for Monday? If you spend Sunday doing Pompeii, Monday should be a low key laid back kind of day to re-charge.

In November daylight is 10.5 hrs on the 1st and 9.5 hrs on the 30th, so do not overlook that in your planning

Posted by
4434 posts

I'd usually say spend the time in Rome and check out Ostia Antica, but if you think you may not get back...a point in favor of the day trip is that in summer it is blazing hot at Pompeii with no shade. November will be a nice time of year for it.

Posted by
84 posts

Yes that's why we travel at that time of the year to these kind of places.
Thanks for your input.

Posted by
315 posts

Roman and Greek ruins nerd here. Pompeii has a mystic quality and sadness due to fleeing to death. I allowed a full day from Naples for Pompeii. Our spontaneous guide at the train station was excellent. The pizza at the cafe across from the entrance was excellent. I would like to return, each guide gives a different view.

Ostia I allowed 1/2 day. Toilets, theater, mosaics (wonderful and intact), burial sites and more than I could see in a 1/2day. I would suggest a guide for a first visit to a roman site. Now, I can identify most sites with a bit of prodding from the signed posts. Excellent coffee before the walking bridge crossing and excellent restaurant just outside Ostia.

I would suggest Pompeii with a guide before other sites. The fast train to Naples is a lovely ride. Pick up a private guide and ride in Naples to utilize your time efficiency in Pompeii.

Posted by
393 posts

I like the YouTube channel The Rome Guy
They use the channel as goodwill for their guide services but do not push the guide services, so they are generally informative.

In the following video they discuss "how to see Pompeii in a day from Rome"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs2yOoKpXTQ

Posted by
7737 posts

I like The Tour Guy (fka The Rome Guy) as well, but their plan allows for only two hours at the site itself.

Posted by
19 posts

I just visited Pompeii for the second time last week (first time was in 2012) and it was even better than I remembered it! We did a Pompeii/Positano combo day trip from Rome through Walks of Italy. It was a loooong day, but my 12 year old son said it was his favorite day of our 17 day Italy/Greece trip! We had a guide included in the tour cost and it makes a huge difference!

We also had 4 days in Rome - did Trevi/Spanish Steps/Pantheon the first day, Vatican and a pasta-making class the second, Pompeii/Positano day trip the third and Colosseum/Palantine Hill/Roman Forum on the fourth. Obviously we fit more in, but those were the main things we did each day. We were traveling with a 12 year old and 15 year old, so we skipped going too deep on churches/museums because we knew they wouldn't appreciate those. Had they not been along, I would have wanted to hit Borghese Museum/Gardens, as well!

Posted by
59 posts

We are in Rome for a week and are doing the Pompeii/Sorrento day trip one day and going to do a half day trip to Ostia Antica another.