Please sign in to post.

Pompeii and Naples day trip from Rome, is my Plan possible

Hi guys
I am planning a day trip from Rome to Pompeii and Naples National Archaeological Museum. I know it will be a stretched day, but we are 2 young guys(23 yrs) and we think we may be able to pull it off. Please review the following plan and help me understand if I may be missing any caveats.

• Take Frecciarossa at 7-35AM from Roma Termini. Reach Naples at 8-45AM.
  • Take the other train to Pompeii Scavi. I believe we would be able to enter the site by 9-45AM? Am I right?
  • Explore Pompeii for about 4-5 hours and leave the site around 2-45 to 3 pm. Is this time too much or too less or appropriate?
  • Take the train back to Naples, Then Take the Metro to the National Museum. Expect to enter the museum around 4-15.
  • Enjoy the museum for a couple of hours (Only stuff related to Pompeii), Leave the Museum before 6-30 PM
  • Reach Da Michele's Pizza from the museum and have a great Napoli Pizza. I hope the waiting should not be much if I reach before 7pm. If the waiting is too much then I could go to Pizzeria Trianon across the street from Da Michelle.
  • After the Pizza feast head back to Napoli centrale and take the Intercity Train to Rome at 8-30pm.

Please give me your thoughts about this and also feel free to shout it out loud if you think this is crazy. :-) :-)

Abhinav

Posted by
15205 posts

Pompei in summer is open from 8:30am to 7:30 pm (last entry at 6pm). You could also do the museum in Naples first in the morning, then the pizza for an early lunch at around Noon. Go to Pompeii after lunch, try to be there before 2:30pm, spend 4 hours there (I think that's more than adequate), then head back to Naples in time for the train back to Rome. Actually there is also a faster freccia departing from Naples at 7:30pm., if you can make that one.

Posted by
16893 posts

Yes, your plan sounds well-researched and workable. However, the Naples museum may have unexpected early closing sometimes, which could be a reason to do the museum first, as Roberto suggested.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you Roberto and Laura. Even I was thinking of doing the Museum first. But I was using rick Steves Italy 2014 and there Rick has mentioned to avoid the train from Pompeii to Naples after dark. Please suggest?

Posted by
15205 posts

The Circumvesuviana is a commuter train used by millions of people at all times of day. There are lights inside when it's dark. In any case you won't be in it when it's dark. In summer in Italy it gets dark after 8 or 9pm. If you go in winter it gets dark after 5, but Pompei in winter closes at 4:30pm therefore you will be out sooner. Besides, in spite of Naples' reputation of being a den of thieves (and pickpockets), they generally don't target young guys. Most pickpocket victims are in fact older people, women in particular (I guess wallets inside purses are easier to pickpocket than wallets inside pants).