Please sign in to post.

Pompeii

We are traveling from Naples to Pompeii. Have decided to stay the night in Pompeii. Question - do we stay in New Pompeii or Old Pompeii? How close to the station - (assuming we get off at Pompeii Scavi) - are the ruins? We would like to leave our bags at B&B first. Second question.. did read somewhere on this site that there was a train from Pompeii to Salerno? We are continuing on to Sicily and if we do not have to return to Naples to pick up the train and are able to pick up the train in Salerno, it would be handy . Any ideas? thank you Toni

Posted by
515 posts

"scavi" means "digs" as in archeological digs. It comes from the verb "scavare" "to dig". Pompeii is the ancient city burried in lava. Pompei (one "i") is the modern town next door. Don't fret if you get this mixed up, lots of visitors do, including me. It matters only when choosing a Circumvesuviana station.

Posted by
2876 posts

The Circumvesuviana "Pompeii Scavi" stop is right at the entrance to the ruins. Yes, there are trains from Pompeii to Salerno. You can find the schedules at www.trenitalia.com This is a duplicate post; you should delete the other.

Posted by
3112 posts

There are indeed trains from Pompei (one i - the new town) to Salerno, where you can connect to the train to Sicily. It's about a mile between the Pompeii Scavi (2 i's - the ancient town) Circumvesuviana stop and the Pompei train station. Depending on where your B&B is located, it could be a few minutes walk or a 25 minute walk from the Circumvesuviana. If your B&B isn't close, just use the free and convenient baggage check at the Porta Marina (main) entrance to Pompeii and head there afterwards. Note that when checking train schedules on the Trenitalia website, you must use Pompei and not Pompeii. Also, you can buy tickets for both legs of your trip to Sicily at the Pompei train station, or even at the station in Naples.

Posted by
10 posts

Toni, Hi - just visted that area 2 weeks ago - I would suggest staying in Sorrento - only 40 min to Pompeii by train and it is beautiful - lots to do at night after your done looking at ruins all day! Safe Travels!
Bob

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you all for your help. My husband gave me a lesson in the spelling of Pompeii/ei as well. I am learning. We are staying in a B&B near station in Pompei. Did think of Sorrento but our early trip the next morning would be longer. We may catch train into Sorrento for dinner and the sunset!! Thanks again
Toni