Please sign in to post.

Pompeii

My wife and I want to take a day trip to Pompeii from Rome in early October. The privately led tours seem quite expensive. Any suggestions about charters, or about going it on your own? I haven't read Rick's book about Pompeii yet, but please steer us in the right direction.

Posted by
7737 posts

The RS Rome book lays out all the particulars on how to do this. Good luck. It's a loooong day.

Posted by
2876 posts

I'd say do it on your own. There are frequent trains between Rome & Naples all day long. If you get the high speed express, the journey is only an hour and 10 minutes. There are plenty of freelance guides at the Pompeii entrance, if you feel you need one. Personally, I don't think it's necessary. There are also site maps and guidebooks for sale. And Rick's book will guide you around very well. If you go on your own, you can call it quits and head back to Rome whenever you want.

Posted by
257 posts

If Rick has an audio tour, use it. We used his audio tours for most of our Italian trip in June and they are great. If you have an iPod Touch you can look at the pics and be sure that you are at the right spot.

Posted by
4152 posts

Pompeii as a day trip from Rome is easy but it's a long day. You'll want to spend hours at the site which you won't get if you go on an organized tour. You can hire a guide at the site or use a guide book or an audio guide. Donna