Please sign in to post.

Pompeii

We're arriving to Amalfi area by train from Rome. We will be housed in Sorrento, but would like to take in Pompeii on the travel day en route to Sorrento. I don't really want to store luggage (only a carry on each) at the train station or Pompeii. Would it be totally ridiculous to go straight to Sorrento, check in and drop bags and go back to Pompeii on the circumvesuviana? Since we want to hire a guide and also poss. Take a trek to Vesuvius we don't want to worry abt luggage. Thanks for input! Cindy

Posted by
4152 posts

It will cut at least an hour out of your day to do that. Add to that hour the amount of time to get to and from the train station in Sorrento and then the amount of time to check in and you might lose 2-2.5 hours. I would just check the luggage but you need to do what you feel comfortable with. I don't think that you can combine a travel day, Pompeii and Vesuvius in one day. There's not enough time in the day for that unless you only plan to spend a couple of hours in Pompeii. Donna

Posted by
148 posts

I've been to Pompeii but our friends have not. Other than an arranged tour we don't need to stay much longer. I would like to squeeze in Vesuvius, but not essential. We are early risers and intend to leave Rome by 8 am at the very latest so we can maybe cover a lot of ground. I was just wondering abt the safety of checking luggage. I hear there are luggage facilities at Pompeii and the train station. I will consider this as anything of any value will be with us and not in luggage. And....it's the last 3 days of our trip so if anything unfortunate were to happen...it would not be as catastrophic. Thanks!