Please sign in to post.

Planning Trip to Italy May 2025 for two adults and 18 year old

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a return trip to Europe in 2025. We spent six weeks in Northern Europe in 2022 with many thanks to Rick’s loyal travelers. This time, the majority of the trip will be by ship (21 days from Rome to Trieste) but we want to visit Florence, Pisa, and Rome pre-cruise and Venice post-cruise. The ship sails at the end of May so we have some time before cruising. My wife has some mobility issues, which we hope are resolved before the trip. I traveled with a friend to Rome, Naples, Sicily, Pisa, Milan, and Venice in 2001, so I am a little familiar with how to get around but I am sure things have changed.

First question…what are the pros and cons of flying into Rome and either visiting Florence/Pisa as day trips versus staying in Florence for 2-3 days? In 2001, I stayed in Montecatini Terme and did day trips to Florence/Pisa, mainly for budgetary reasons. That’s not a concern now, though I’d guess $250 a night would be fine for hotel.

Second question…if we stay in Florence, how many days do y’all recommend? My wife wants to see David and inside the Duomo and museums but no stair climbing. Would one long day be enough for Florence?

Our last night before the cruise will be in Civitavecchia (already booked) and we don’t mind staying there and traveling into Rome by train, though I know we lose some sightseeing time. My wife does not have the energy to go at my pace, so she would rather see a couple sights each day and then chill. I would go from sunrise until the late evening…LOL.

Anyway, I would love some advice, especially if you have traveled with mobility issues. That’s one reason why so much of this trip will be on a ship.

Dr. Rob

Posted by
6622 posts

Consider flying IN to Florence or Pisa and stay in Florence
Then train to Rome for your time there

If you can’t fly into Florence or Pisa try Milan
Then immediately train to Florence

If if Rome is your best option fly to Rome and immediately train to Florence so you don’t have split stay in Rome

Days in Florence depends. Make sure you are not there on a Monday when state museums are closed (David, Ufizzi)
I’d want at least 2 full days for Florence so that’s 3 nights
Add another night for day trip to Pisa (this could be a Monday)
Total 4 nights

Or 3 nights Florence then see Pisa on your way to Rome
Will you be traveling light? (Cruise people usually aren’t)

Posted by
154 posts

Second question…if we stay in Florence, how many days do y’all recommend? My wife wants to see David and inside the Duomo and museums but no stair climbing. Would one long day be enough for Florence?
A

How strict is the no stair climbing? If no huge stair climbs (not climbing the Duomo) then most sights are ok. If stairs are completely off limits that is somewhat limiting - I remember a lot of stairs.

If you have the time and budget I’d stay 3 nights to give you two full days there. You can potentially do just two nights if you can do a morning train in and evening train out to give you the better part of 2 days but it will be a busier itinerary or you’ll have to leave off something.

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks to both of you…I confirmed hotels in Florence for three nights and Rome for three nights. We will probably fly in to Milan or Rome due to flight options and either out of Venice, Milan, or Rome depending on schedules.

As for luggage, traveling as light as possible. I can do carry on plus backpack but the wife won’t.

The cruise sails from Civitavecchia on May 29 at 3:00. Would it be safe to plan leaving Rome around 10 that morning? Train takes about 1 hour and boarding begins just after noon. Or, should we keep the booking in Civitavecchia?

Rob

Posted by
154 posts

The cruise sails from Civitavecchia on May 29 at 3:00. Would it be safe to plan leaving Rome around 10 that morning? Train takes about 1 hour and boarding begins just after noon. Or, should we keep the booking in Civitavecchia?
Rob

I’m comfortable with that timetable; I like to minimize hotel changes when feasible and you’ve got a good time cushion. Looks like that train runs every 30 minutes which is reassuring. Absolute worst case scenario (train strike, etc) you are close enough that a taxi is a backup plan.