Please sign in to post.

Planning trip for March2019, book hotels ASAP? Itinerary Advice

We (mom, dad, and son-23 yrs) are planning a relatively short trip to visit daughter (21 yrs) who will be on Study Abroad program Spring 2019 in Rome (Ariccia), airline tickets already purchased. Draft itinerary below but not sure all those day trips are practical?
Sat 3/9: Arrive Rome 9:40am, train to Florence
Sun 3/10: Florence
Mon 3/11: Florence (possible day trip to Cinque Terre)
Tue 3/12: Florence (possible day trip to Milan)
Wed 3/13: Morning train to Rome
Thur 3/14: Rome (possible day trip to Sorrento)
Fri 3/15: Rome
Sat 3/16: Rome, Rtn flight at 4:55pm
I am wondering if day trips to Cinque Terre and Sorrento would be too much travel / time consuming? With 4 adults is two rooms probably best option, and should we book lodging as soon as possible for this Spring Break trip? To the extent possible should we purchase train tickets in advance? Appreciate any / all tips including any hotel recommendations in Florence and Rome for family of four. Currently reading my Rick Steves Italy 2019, and checking those lodging recommendations.
Thanks much, Perry S

Posted by
266 posts

My family of five is staying in an apartment in Rome. We find it a lot more comfortable and enjoyable than a hotel room (or two). You can use any site to find - VRBO, Airbnb, booking.com....RS has a few sites mentioned in his book. And yes, those day trips are too aggressive. We are spending four nights/four full days in Rome and I think that should be enough - for our first visit, anyway!

Have you thought about doing Rome and some time in Tuscany as an alternative?

Posted by
5687 posts

You can book hotels on sites like Booking.com with free cancellation - so you might go ahead and book a few places on it now, even if you aren't 100% sure they are perfect. Just remember to go back and change/cancel them later if you change your mind. When booking, pay attention to the cancellation terms - they vary by property. Rick's book recommendations do tend to fill up earlier than others, and some of them will show up in Booking.com . Use the map feature to check locations.

You might book the Florence to Rome train early to save money, but the first one on arrival day maybe not because if you are late you might miss it. Some trains are regional (e.g. from Florence to the Cinque Terre) don't need to be booked early - they cost the same booked the day of departure as earlier and can't sell out. But the Rome-Florence trains have reserved seats where the cheaper ones tend to sell out closer to departure.

You can play it by ear with day trips to the CT or Sorrento (though you'll have such little time in Rome, I can't imagine taking that trip). If you get good weather and feel like it, do it. Not a lot of preplanning is required other than figuring out the trains ahead of time.

Posted by
11335 posts

I think you are pushing it with three day trips since you don’t really have time just for Florence and Rome. The daytripping will exhaust you! Stay and enjoy the two base cities in your brief time in country. In fact,, I would take a night from Florence and add it to Rome.

One way to be certain you are allocating your time well is to list the things you want to do and see in each location. That way you will know how to balance time in each place. Will you see all the museums in Florence? Is your plan for Rome only the ancient sites? Estimate how much time it will take to see what you want to see and verify the days and hours those sites are open so you are not disappointed.

Posted by
375 posts

Many years ago I went with a friend to visit her daughter who was studying in Florence. We had eight days. We spent four days in Rome and four days in Florence. There is plenty to see and do in those two places. It gave a chance for the daughter to show us around, meet her friends and learn how she goes about her day living there as well as seeing the sights. It gave me a taste of Italy and I returned at a later time for a more in-depth trip

Posted by
4882 posts

With 4 adults, I think you will likely want either 2 hotel rooms or an apartment. European hotel rooms tend to be smaller than their American counterparts, and I shudder at the thought of 4 people getting ready for the day with only 1 bathroom. If you haven't spent much time in Italy before, a hotel, with a front desk staff who can answer questions and help with logistics can be a very good thing.

I think your day trips are too far reaching for March. Don't forget how short the days will still be. You would spend over 5 hours per day just on trains if you go to CT or Sorrento, leaving you little time actually in those places.
Florence can easily soak up 3 days all by itself, but if you want a day trip, perhaps consider something closer like Pisa and Lucca or Siena. (Forget your arrival day - by tge time you get to Florence youll be too tired to do much of anything) You only have 2 1/2 usable days in Rome- not nearly enough time to even scratch the surface. Your last day doesn't give you enough time to do much before you have to leave for the airport.

Posted by
11189 posts

Day trips to Milan and Sorrento are "wear yourself out for little benefit" trips. The CT might be worthwhile IF the weather is favorable.

For the limited time you have Florence and Rome will fill your days quite easily without running off on far flung day trips

Posted by
227 posts

I agree with some others. Day trips to CT or Milan won't allow you to see the cities. Rome to Sorrento day trip is pushing yourself. Stay in the Florence (you could easily spend a week there and not see everything) and stay in Rome. Believe me, you are trying to do too much with the proposed day trips. Take a day trip from Florence to Siena if you want to step out of Florence.

Posted by
1234 posts

I agree, too many day trips. You will spend your time on the trains instead of the cities.
I also agree with taking one night from Florence and adding it to Rome. So much more to do, IMO.

Posted by
2115 posts

Congrats to your daughter! Our grandson is spending his first year in college this year in Paris. He's been there 6 weeks and loves it!

My radical recommendation is to stay in Rome. There's way more to see than you'll be able to fit in. If you need to take day trips, consider going to Ostia Antica or Tivoli.

Posted by
2 posts

Everyone, Thanks much for the great advice, very consistent. We're definitely revamping itinerary, in fact I am now leaning toward just staying in Rome for duration. Once settled and with better idea of our 'must see' places in Rome we can consider a possible day trip. Would love to get up to Siena but that may be too far also. If so may just visit some place much closer such as suggested Tivoli. Would like to take short train ride and get out of the city for one day.

So now focusing on vast lodging options. Considering near Termini train station or Pantheon neighborhood as RS suggests. Have seen a some decent places e.g. Hotel Impero near Termini where we could get good rate on two rooms, but a lot more places to review. Will also check Airbnb options. Really excited about all the cites, can easily see spending bulk of our short trip in Rome. Once I retire my wife and I plan to return when we can spend much more time in Italy : ) PerryS