Please sign in to post.

Planning Help

I have two weeks in Italy planned for a vacation/honeymoon. The beginning and end are set as the flights are booked (into Milan and out of Rome). I'm thinking of spending 4 days and 5 nights in Vernazza to unwind. Then hit Pisa on our way to Florence. A day in Florence then off to Venice. The next day would be spent in Venice and then we'd catch a night train to Rome. Rome would then be 4 days. I like the beginning and end but I'm not sure what to do with the middle. We're more into atmosphere than particular pieces of art, so I feel like Florence wouldn't be as enjoyable as it should be. Venice also gets shorted. I've been to both, but my wife hasn't been to Italy. Alternatively I could go to Siena for that whole time and take a side trip to Florence, rent a car for a day and hit some vineyards, and spend a day in Siena. How do I best spend 3 full days (2 reserved for travel) and 4 nights when starting in Vernazza and ending in Rome?

Posted by
1449 posts

Personally I wouldn't take a night train from Venice to Rome; you can do the trip in less than 4 hours by train and enjoy sightseeing out the window, bring a lunch on board, etc.

Posted by
2 posts

From a woman's perspective, given the leather and gold etc. in Florence, I would think she would very much enjoy it! I am not familiar with Vernazza, but of the places I visited in Italy, I wanted more time in both Florence and Venice. Ahhh...and then there is Caprii, but you're at the wrong end of the country!

Posted by
9420 posts

I'd spend 4 nights Vernazza, 4 nights Rome, 2-3 nights Florence, and the rest in Venice. Loved Venice!