Please sign in to post.

Planning ahead for Italy Sep 2016

Hi, My husband and I are planning to go to Italy for a 3 day wedding celebration in Alfiano Natta (West of Milan) in early Sep 2016.
We are going without the kids, and will take some time after to vacation more.
I have never been North of Florence, my husband has never been to Italy.
We are planning to fly into Milan (we expect those will be the best/cheapest flights for us), we can rent a car, if better for our final planned itinerary.
Our first 3 nights will be in Alfiano Natta, lovely countryside and vineyards, very relaxing, with 3 days of wedding dinners.
We plan to spend our last 2 nights in Milan before flying out. So, I'm trying to figure out what to do for the other 6 nights.
I had thought 3 nights in the 5T then 3 nights in Venice. My husband's coworker from Italy said, go to a place like Finale Ligure. What about Genoa? I've read that it's underrated and the old city there is an UNESCO world heritage site, it is also on the way from where we start to either side of the coast. My husband likes to really linger in places, rather than move around a lot, I'm happy with all of it, I like a mix of small villages and a little city too. I'm wondering if we should just choose either south to the coast, OR east to Venice, for the whole 6 nights between the wedding and Milan?
Any and all thoughts, from people who have been to these areas would be so helpful. Thank you!

Posted by
7175 posts

Go with your first thoughts, Venice and Cinque Terre, probably best in that order too.
You could perhaps stop over for a few hours in Pisa for the Leaning Tower whilst en route from Venice to CT.
Sounds wonderful. Enjoy.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks, I was thinking we would Fly into Milan --> Alfiano Natta 3 nights --> Cinque Terra 3 nights -- [dip south through Florence] --> Venice 3 nights --> Milan 2 nights
But, Florence is so fantastic too! Maybe stay there instead of someplace else? Ack! A month would be better :)

Posted by
11337 posts

If your husband likes to linger, I think doing both the Cinque Terre and Venezia will be rushed. It will take you all day to get from one to the other, wasting a precious day of your 6.

So a couple of thoughts:

• We can easily spend 6 nights in the Cinque Terre as we are avid hikers. There is far more than the Trail #2 everyone does, you can go to Portofino and Santa Maria Ligure for a day, Porto Venere for anther, and I actually like Lerici, too. Lots to think about. Genoa MAY be worth a day and you could day trip it.

• We can also happily spend 6 nights in Venezia and have on a couple of occasions. Day trip to Verona, Padova; a day in the Laguna going to Burano and Torcello; just wandering that fabulous city!

• A variation on the 6 nights Cinque Terre would be 4 in the CT and 2 at Lago di Como, also a lovely lowkey place, and easy to get to Milano from there.

I have to ask: Why 2 nights in Milano? It's nice enough, but make certain you know what you want to accomplish/ see there before deciding on 2 nights of the precious time you have.

Posted by
7175 posts

Fly into Milan --> Alfiano Natta 3 nights
Alfiano Natta --> Cinque Terra 3 nights (Asti to Monterosso - 2hr 56min by train via Genoa)
Cinque Terra --> Venice 3 nights (Monterosso to Venice - 5hr 18min by train via Pisa and Florence)
Venice --> Milan 2 nights (2hr 23min by train)

Only really the one long travel day from CT to Venice. I don't see these kinds of days as wasted, rather as a day to take a journey and get a sense of travel - relax and recharge on the way.

Posted by
14 posts

Good thoughts, thank you.
Obviously I'm planning way ahead, so I really appreciate the feedback.
Keep the ideas coming.
Thanks!

Posted by
11337 posts

That 5+ hour train ride turns into an 8 hour day from hotel to hotel in short order. I only suggest you think about that before you take on such a trek. We did it once (Venezia to Vernazza) on our first trip, and while I am one for long train trips, they are done with the freedom of retirement, not on a precious vacation with limited days. I would not do that trip again, in hindsight, unless I had a lot more time to spare.

Posted by
7175 posts

As an Australian I see 8 hours of travel as nothing, when it takes us 24 hours to fly to Europe. lol

Posted by
14 posts

I'm starting to think Cinque Terra & Florence instead of all the running around.

Posted by
11337 posts

David good point on travel time perspective. But you Aussies temd to come to Europe for 6 weeks at a time, not 10 days or 2 weeks!