Please sign in to post.

Planning

2 days in Venice, 5 days in Rome trying to decide which area to spend the remainder. Recommendations? Cinque Terre, Pisa, Sienna (maybe Portofino) area or Amalfi Coast and that area?

Posted by
7737 posts

Seriously, LP, you'll get better feedback if you tell us what you're interested in seeing/doing. Best wishes.

Posted by
62 posts

My initial question was quiet simple...would more people recommend amafi or cinque terre based on my planned itinerary....flying into Venice, going to see Pisa, then going to Rome. The query was: before going to Rome should we go to Cinque Terre or skip that and instead see Amalfi Coast after Rome. Just looking for opinions on this one. Thanks to all !

Posted by
4152 posts

How many days will you have left? What are you interested in seeing? Where do fly into and out of?
What time of year are you visiting? These are important details that we would need to know in order to help you. Donna

Posted by
62 posts

Planning to fly into Venice and out of Rome.

Posted by
15597 posts

Without knowing the answers to all of Donna's questions, it's hard to advise. 10 days isn't much, so I'd recommend places that are more or less between Venice and Rome, like Siena. The Cinque Terre and the Amalfi coast will eat up too much travel time, and without knowing the time of year you are going, either or both may not be a good idea. Other possibilities: Verona, Florence, Bologna - all on the main train line. . . assuming you are traveling by train. And do you have 10 full days on the ground?

Posted by
62 posts

Yes, 10 days on the ground and will be there mid june.

Posted by
359 posts

add at least one day to Venice and with the remaining 2 days I'd go for something in Tuscany Florence would be easiest assuming you are travelling by train
there are lots of options but if you are travelling by train it makes most sense to pick something close to your route that avoids too much backtracking

Posted by
32219 posts

LP, Given the overall details of your trip, I'd suggest spending a few days in Florence, a few days in the Cinque Terre and then head for Rome. The transportation connections are all relatively short and easy. Have you given any thought to which C.T. village you might like to stay in? I'm not sure Pisa is worth the time, but if it's important to you, stop there briefly on the way from Florence to the C.T. (it's "on the way"). With such a short trip, I'd highly recommend leaving the Amalfi Coast for another trip. Happy travels!

Posted by
359 posts

the answer if neither Cinque Terre is way out of the way Pisa is not directly in route between Venice and Rome, the common connection is Florence
most of us here would suggest more time in Venice and something between Venice and Florence with only 2 nights

Posted by
359 posts

fyi-the train travel alone from Venice to CT is 5-6 hours depending on which village you are heading too and which train time you choose
by the time you account for getting to and from train stations/hotels you've lost most of a day

Posted by
7737 posts

And the answer depends on what you enjoy doing. Tuscany is a very different experience from the Amalfi Coast. We're trying to be helpful, you know.

Posted by
4152 posts

It's impossible to answer without you giving us the info we need. We are trying to help and information from you is how we do it. With only 10 days I would say to do Pisa as a day trip on the way to Rome and skip the Cinque Terre and the Amalfi coast. You already have 7 days taken up and will need to be in Rome the night before your flight, that puts you to 8 days. If you really want to see the Amalfi coast you could spend the night there but it would be easier and involve less travel if you pick something on the route between Venice and Rome. Also, Cinque Terre and Amalfi coast are very different. Without knowing what you have more interest in it's impossible to give an educated answer. If you want me to just pick one I would suggest the Amalfi coast. Donna

Posted by
32219 posts

LP, To elaborate on my earlier post, this is what I was suggesting.... > Venice - 2 days (train to Florence is about 2H) > Florence - 2 days (train to C.T. is about 2H:30M) > Cinque Terre - 2 days (train to Rome is about 3H:30M) > Rome - 4 days That will provide a brief look at four different areas.

Posted by
62 posts

I thank you all for your feedback. To give you more background to my initial query, I am traveling with my daughter and grandson. I have been to many parts of Italy previously however this is a first for my daughter and grandson. Pisa is a stop as my grandson really, really wants to see that. My daughter does not want to go to Florence and I have been there previously so that is why it is not a destination. My daugher really wants to see the Amalfi Coast which is why that is a suggested destination (I have been there previously). I realize North of Rome is a very different trip then South of Rome as I have been to both regions and truly fell in love with the Tuscany region, however, I am trying to plan a memorable trip for my daughter and grandson and slanting towards their 'must see' list. Again I thank you all with trying to help me out it was most appreciated.

Posted by
4152 posts

Well, that makes it a lot easier to offer some advice. I would suggest since you fly into Venice to spend a few days there. On your trip south I would stop over in Pisa to see the tower for your grandson. After visiting Pisa I would continue to the Amalfi coast to please your daughter. After a few days there end your trip in Rome since you will fly out of there. This will save you from having to leave the Amalfi coast the night before your flight and changing hotels again. Donna

Posted by
7737 posts

How old is your grandson? Is he interested in anything in addition to Pisa? Castles? Ruins? Secret passageways? Medieval instruments of torture? :-) That will help with suggestions.