Please sign in to post.

Places to stay in Rome

I am going in April and need a place for a week. I would like to be in the Piazza Navona or Campo de Fiori. I have never been to Rome so if someone could suggest a different area I'm willing to change. I don't want in the Vatican area.

Posted by
32212 posts

barbara, I usually stay in the area around Termini station, as it's so convenient for transportation. You might have a look at the websites for Hotel Sonya or Hotel Aberdeen. I'd suggest having a look at the Rome or Italy Guidebooks, as there are LOTS of listings in there for good Hotels in various parts of Rome. One of the Guidebooks would be a very worthwhile investment, as they also contain lots of information about sightseeing, transportation, etc. You could also have a look at the excellent www.roninrome.com website. Happy travels!

Posted by
653 posts

Check the Ron in Rome site for information on the areas you want. Also, if there are two or more of you, apartment rental might be an option. Many people have posted recently about hotel, b&b and apartment rentals in Rome - check some other threads for ideas as well.

Posted by
11322 posts

An apartment is nice, especially for a week it can be a great value. Try www.vrbo.com and sleepinitaly.com. We are staying three minutes (by foot) from CdF for about 120 euros/night in a 1 bedroom apt. There are many options at vrbo.com.

Posted by
238 posts

I stay in a great apt overlooking Campo dei Fiori for 125 euros per night. It's 336305 on vrbo. The location is great and it's cheaper than hotels in the same area. I have recommended it to several people and all of them enjoyed it.

Posted by
23268 posts

I agree with Ken. In our five visits to Rome we always stay in the Termini area for convenience to transit. It is on the edge of the main tourist areas so it tends to be less touristy with several decent local restaurants. Everything is walk for there but it is an extra ten minutes or so. As a reference, it would take an hour to walk to the Vatican.

Posted by
381 posts

I agree that apartments can be a great deal. VRBO is a great site. We stayed near the Colleseum and loved it. I would suggest you stay in a residential type area because it is quiet. Stay a few floors up to stay away from noise. You may have to walk up stairs but I like quiet. Go on to Google maps and look use street view to look at the outside of the apartment and the street it tells a lot. Read the reviews on VRBO and ask questions of the owners.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks to all I will look for apartments, think that may be the way to go. Thanks for the google suggestion I would not have thought to do that , it is a good suggestion

Posted by
107 posts

Check out 'Hotel Smeraldo'. I have been there twice. The location is 'wonderful'. Campo de Fiori is about a 3 minute walk and Piazza Navona is about 10. They recently had a building just around the corner, remodeled and included in their rentals. B-fast is include. Clean and nicely operated. 24 hour front desk. We even had Eugenio drive us down to Pompei (for a fee of course). It a bit hard to find, I suggest just taking a cab from the train station or airport. Takes away from all the hassles and get delivered right to the front door. They will arrange pick up if you want. E50 for airport ride was cost in October.

Posted by
74 posts

We spent a great week in an apartment in Palazzo Olivia, just a very short walk from Piazza Navona and across the street from Campo de Fiori. Check it out.

Posted by
2 posts

I have to recommend B&B Al Biondo Tevere. It was 99 euro a night and it was great! Less than 10 minute walk to Piazza Navona, 15 to Pantheon. Located on a really cool street filled with shops and restaurants. Comfortable bed. Great location. Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor. We would definitely stay there again. The "breakfast" though is a voucher for a cappuccino and croissant at a lovely cafe very near the B&B. It was fine for me considering I don't really eat breakfast. My wife ordered the "American Breakfast" for an extra 10 euro. If you do book there, you HAVE to check out Gelateria del Teatro nearby. The BEST gelato we had in Italy. Hands Down! Even if you don't book there and are in the area (Piazza Navona) seek it out.

Posted by
782 posts

We used www.sleepinitaly.com to rent three apartments in Rome this past July. The company is FABULOUS to work with AND they only charge about 10% for the initial deposit. They have lots of apartments throughout Rome to choose from. They are very reliable. We stayed in the area mentioned above (Piazza Navona and Campo de Fiori). I would prefer this over the Termini area. We were able to go out every night and walk around all the lovely squares. You can walk to the Pantheon, Trastevere, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps if you stay in this area. We only used the taxi to take us to the Colosseum and Catacombs.

Posted by
833 posts

My husband and I stayed in Albergo Abruzzi right on the Piazza della Rotunda (the Pantheon) and loved it! I believe we booked the room for 100€/night? It included a nice, full (more American than Italian) breakfast at a cafe across the Piazza, had very nice rooms and was conveniently located. Comfy and clean.

Posted by
973 posts

We enjoyed Smeraldo' and its location also, and their good breakfast. We had the least expensive room. Our room was a little larger than a cruise cabin but had comfortable beds, typical hard Italian pillows, tho they gave us additional softer ones when we requested it. The bathroom had a typical small shower cubicle but it all was spotless. Fairly quiet with the double windows, tho there was an outdoor cafe across the street if you wanted some 'atmosphere". Well worth the money, an easy walk to the Vatican and the Palatine, Spanish steps, etc.The courteous front desk staff had excellent restaurant recommendations. Never made it up to the rooftop garden tho. Def. would return to the Smeraldo. I second the Smeraldo's airport service for comfort and convenience. I used a different , less expensive, shuttle service and wasted 28 minutes waiting at another hotel for a family of 6 to get their act together and get in the van.

Posted by
2 posts

Barbara, Location is everything. You want to be in the middle of Rome and I agree the locations you mentioned are the best. For a splurge, you cannot beat the hotel Raphael in location. Best all around place I have ever stayed in any city. Have fun! Peter

Posted by
61 posts

I stayed at the Nazionale, it shares a sqaure with the Italian Parliament, is around the corner from the Pantheon and is a very easy walk to Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navoan and Campo de Fiori. I couldn't think of a better location. It is also a great hotel!

Posted by
2207 posts

Barbara, not sure which week of April you're headed to Rome, but do remember that Easter is April 8th, so the week leading up to Easter will be quite busy and accommodations more limited. Given that you are planning to stay in Rome for a week, you might also look at an apartment. Like Kerry, we recently used sleepinitaly and had a good experience. You can read about our booking, and some apartment-renting tips, HERE. Since it is your first time in Rome though, you may need the support of a hotel or B&B staff, manager, concierge, etc. Many of these types of acommodations can make your "first time" in Rome far easier. When you book an apartment, you get the keys and then you're on you're own. Like others, I'd also recommend - as it's your first time - to stay downtown. There are hundreds of hotel options in the centro area, at all price ranges. For some assistance, you might look at these four posts, which list the best-rated hotels in the central section of Rome: the Pantheon Area, near Piazza Navona, at the Trevi Fountain, and around the Colosseo and Monti Area. Staying in the centro area is convenient and being able to step out of your hotel for a walk through downtown Rome at Night... is priceless!

Posted by
316 posts

Barbara, Two years ago my wife and I stayed here and enjoyed it. It is 300 yards from Piazza Navona in the center of "Old Rome". Roof top garden for breakfast. Nice Hotel Portoghesi http://www.hotelportoghesiroma.it/ Tom