Please sign in to post.

Places To Eat In Rome

Don’t get me wrong- I LOVE Rick’s books like a bible. But, the dining recommendations are slim. Can some of you throw out many different eateries? Not too expensive….

Posted by
8693 posts

On the top of this website page there are 4 horizontal lines. Click on them, the search box will appear. Type in Rome restaurants. You will get a number of responses.

Posted by
521 posts

You may want to look up Elizabeth Minchilli and her daughter Sophie Minchilli who both live in Rome and are very knowledgeable about Italian food and restaurants. EM’s website has suggestions and both have lots of recommendations on their Instagram pages. Sophie does food tours in Rome and both do multi day food tours around areas of Italy that are not as touristy.

Posted by
130 posts

We like L'Insalata Ricca - three locations. The one near P Navona has been around since before I was a student in Rome in 1990! Pastas and BIG salads. Moderate prices

Posted by
4428 posts

Recommend you watch Stanley Tucci's Rome episodes, and those of his distaff British counterpart Alex Polizzi and also Bobby Flay of all people did a series with Giada. You will see some stuff.

Posted by
560 posts

For cut pizza, Forno in Campo dei Fiori. Just off Campo dei Fiori, Grappolo d'Oro for dinner. It is near touristy spots but frequented by locals and has great carbonara IMO. Also Cul de Sac near Piazza Navona is a good choice for lunch or dinner. And I second the suggestion to check out Elizabeth Minchilli's and Sophie Minchilli's recommendations. Stay away from Osteria Fortunata and Tonnarello, both tourist traps.

Posted by
513 posts

Il Duca in Trastevere (try the ravioli with truffle sauce)
Al Padovano not far from the Porta Pia

Posted by
214 posts

In the Prati neighborhood, we really like Il Sorpasso. Reservations are usually necessary.

Posted by
7570 posts

I will tell you now, the best place will be a small restaurant, off on a side street, that you stumble on just wandering around in the evening. Look at the menu, if it is seasonal, limited to a few dishes, and empty before 7:00 or 8:00 PM, you can't go wrong, and you will have your own secret spot in Rome.

Apart from that, someone suggested a blog, do a search for Rome food blogs. There will be a number of out of the way places to check out. I have found some gems that way.

Someone mentioned Stanley Tucci, Alex Polizzi, Anthony Bourdain, et al visiting here or there...to be honest, those are the places I avoid. If recent in viewing, they are overrun with people eating in the "in spot", at best they are overly expensive to curtail demand, and at worse they have gone downhill trying to keep up.

As for my spots? Most are in the Trastevere, where I stay. However, it has been not quite two years since I have been there, so I can't really recommend any really small places. However "La Scala in Trastevere" is a long standing dependable place, Trattoria da Enzo 29 is one of those "famous" places that suffered, but seems to have pulled out of it and has decent pasta dishes. Tonnarello and their sister restaurants are popular, decent food, casual, not spectacular, but better than the tourist fare and reasonably priced. It is worth wandering through the streets in the Trastevere during the day, then go back at night to witness the transformation. The whole area near Santa Maria in Trastevere turns into a street party with restaurants spilling out into the streets and dozens of options.

Edit: Didn't consider pizza, but all in the Trastevere...Ai Marmi; Dar Poeta, da Ivo, then for slices by the kilo, maybe the best in town is la Renella Forno Antica, and for a modern take, try a Trapizzino, nearby and at several other locations.

Gelato? Maybe my new favorite is Otaleg, though Gelateria alla Scala Trastevere is a long time favorite. Gelato should always be enjoyed on a walk near your hotel as you decide to turn in for the night (plus at any time of the day)

Posted by
214 posts

Sorry I answered this twice with the same answer. At least I’m consistent!

Posted by
148 posts

For something different try some of the street foods in Rome, a couple of suggestions...

The porchetta panino at All'Antico Vinaio (a block away from Piazza della Rotonda and the Pantheon) is delicious and huge, a meal in itself.

We discovered Trapizzino the last time in Rome, can't believe we never had one of these on prior trips to Rome...

https://www.lavitaroma.com/blog/2017/05/20/trapizzino-street-food