Please sign in to post.

Pistoia

Since my uncle suggested I promote his town to Americans, here you go.
https://www.discovertuscany.com/pistoia/

It's a beautiful town:
PHOTO 1
PHOTO 2
PHOTO 3
PHOTO 4

It will be Italy's Culture Capital for 2017. So I presume there will be several events and exhibits coming up next year.

Only 1/2 hour by train from Florence (half way between Florence and Lucca along the same railway).

EDIT:
I find Pistoia particularly charming and vibrant at night. So if you have a chance to have dinner at the piazza in photo 4 above (called La Sala, or Living Room) you will enjoy it. Pistoia is also significantly cheaper than Florence so I am sure you will appreciate the lower restaurant bills too.

Pistoia is famous for the plant nurseries industry so every year, for one day, they transform the historical center in a garden, as you can see below:
http://www.pratosfera.com/2016/05/08/piazza-sala-pistoia-parco-2016/

If you like Blues, the renown Pistoia Blues Festival is in July. Concerts take place in front of the Duomo.

The chocolate factories are everywhere in the area. The most famous are probably La Molina in Quarrata and Slitti in Monsummano, but I'm sure you can find places in Pistoia itself.

Posted by
5213 posts

I will add Pistoia to my growing list of places to visit in Italy, thanks!

Posted by
32212 posts

Roberto,

Looks like a great location! I'll add it to my list of new places to visit in Italy.

Posted by
5213 posts

Since I have a sweet tooth & chocolate is one of my favorite sweets, I noticed this on the website you linked:

Pistoia is located in the so-called "Tuscan chocolate valley", an area that extends between Pisa, Pistoia and Prato in which we can find some of the most renowned Italian artisan chocolate makers known in Italy and beyond.

So... I must ask, who is your, or your uncle's, favorite chocolatier in Pistoia?

Posted by
11613 posts

Thanks for the photos, I remember having my first caffe shakerato at the piazza in photo 4.

Really a charming city.

Posted by
2252 posts

Gosh, fabulous chocolate and a charming small town in Italy; never mind the Culture Capital for 2017 designation! What more could one ask of life?? Thanks for the info, Roberto-and your uncle, too. I hope to get there soon!

Posted by
219 posts

Thank you, Roberto. I am always appreciative of your generosity in providing info in these forums.

Posted by
331 posts

Thank you Roberto. I was planning on stopping in Pistoia on my way to Lucca. Now I think it will be a day trip to Pistoia and a day trip to Lucca. I have three separate guidebooks and only 1 mentions Pistoia with a mere 1.5 pages. I have downloaded info from the website you provided. Can't wait for the chocolate and the gardens.

Posted by
257 posts

Went there on the train for a day trip in 2015 and really enjoyed myself. Was market day in Pistoia and I felt like I was the only tourist in town. Took lots of pictures of the beautiful architecture and walked all over the downtown and met several very friendly people there.

Posted by
1307 posts

What a beautiful place! I will add it to my list of Italian towns that I haven't yet had the pleasure of visiting ...
Thank you, Roberto!