Please sign in to post.

Pisa

In Pisa one night, where to stay? Currently have Hotel Relais Del Orologio but reviews are not so good.

Posted by
15043 posts

Don't stay at all, unless forced by your doctor.
There is nothing in Pisa that makes it worth staying more than an hour or two to see the Duomo and leaning tower.
If you need to stay overnight in the area, I would stay in Lucca instead.

Posted by
11613 posts

I agree with Roberto, but also visit the baptistery and cemetary.

Posted by
15560 posts

I agree with Zoe (and thus with Roberto as well).

Where are you coming from and going to? You only need about 3-4 hours in Pisa. You can leave your luggage in storage at the Pisa Centrale station and take a short taxi ride to the sight, then bus back to the station and continue on your journey, with the bonus of eliminating a one-nighter.

Posted by
65 posts

We took train from Rome to Florence with stop in Pisa. Walked from train station and spent several hours
at main sights. Plenty of time to return to train station and get to Florence by late afternoon or early evening.

Posted by
107 posts

Wow, so no one has stayed overnight in Pisa. We are coming from Monterosso on the way to Siena and last visit we did not stop in Pisa , which is why we thought we would stay this time. Ok so now I have time to re consider the night in Pisa and not stay. Thank you to all. If there is anyone who enjoyed an evening in Pisa , please advise.

Posted by
1674 posts

I love Pisa! The great republic is well worth seeing. I make the 1 hour drive from our apartment at least three times a year. The majority of visitors are so distracted by the blitz on the wonderful Piazza dei Miracoli that they miss the other wonders. The Museo San Matteo is world class, the row of palaces along the Lungarno are always a pleasure. The shows at the Palazzo Blu are really well done – the Modigliani last year was great. Any photographer worth his pixels can easily spend a glorious hour with the buildings and passersby through the Piazza Cavallieri. The Jewish cemetery (Wed. & Sun.) is the oldest in the world. The market area in the morning evokes the middle ages better than any movie. You can stroll unimpeded inside the exact old university building where Galileo and Fermi studied. The best part may be the Pisans – away from the Tower they are friendly and relaxed and will gladly talk to any tourist who's not on a bucket list autopilot.

Posted by
107 posts

Thanks Mike and Eric,
I now have a plan for Pisa. I will be staying at the guest house,already communicated with them. And thanks to all for the sites we will see. Grazie Mille a tutti. Upon return I will post findings of Pisa.

Posted by
2261 posts

Don't sell Pisa short-there's also this to see at the airport.

Posted by
4406 posts

Looks like someone spent some time sitting in a wicker chair ;-)

I, too, don't understand the hate (or at least 'no love') for Pisa.

Posted by
1184 posts

Glad to hear it worked out for your, Sandy. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
11613 posts

I love Pisa, but with limited time, a daytrip is often a better option if the poster wants to go mainly for the Campo dei Miracoli.

Posted by
134 posts

best of Pisa is its Portcciolo and its arno part but of no interest if you are not fond of sailing. So far not so many tourists there.