Please sign in to post.

Pisa and Lucca

Hello fellow travelers, my family and I are planning a trip to Florence at the end of March 2018. This will be the 2nd time we've gone. This time around we are taking my mother-in-law and she would like to see Pisa. Since we visited Pisa the last time we where there, getting there and buying tickets isn't an issue. My question is, since Pisa doesn't really take all day, is it possible to visit Lucca afterwards. I figure we would leave Pisa about 1 so we should get to Lucca around 1:30 or 2. We just want to walk around maybe visit Guinigi tower do the Rick Steves walk. Do you think we will be able to do this in a day? Thank you.

Posted by
5687 posts

Shouldn't be a problem to do it in one day. There's a direct bus to Lucca (at least there was in 2011) that leaves from right in front of the Field of Miracles. I was staying in Pisa when I took that bus so I don't know the easiest way back to Florence from Lucca - I'd guess by train.

There is more to Pisa than just the Tower and the Field of Miracles, FYI. There are some interesting buildings on the Arno such as some old churches. The Arno isn't as picturesque in Pisa as it is in Florence, but it's still interesting in places. There's also the old university buildings between the Field of Miracles and the Arno, if you fancy a walk. Not saying you should do this instead of going to Lucca - but it is an option.

Posted by
27142 posts

Folks have definitely combined Pisa and Lucca on a day-trip. Most find that Lucca needs more time. Someone here made what sounded like a good suggestion to me: Go to Lucca first and time your arrival in Pisa for mid-afternoon, by which time there won't be so many other tourists there. You'll need to consider whether you want to visit any indoor sights in Pisa, though; if you need to pick up a ticket on-site, that will take extra time.

Posted by
11613 posts

I would reverse the order and spend most of the day in Lucca (definitely have lunch there rather than near the Leaning Tower in Pisa), then get to Pisa in the afternoon. The Duomo and Cemetery are beautiful as well as the Tower, and if you arrive in the afternoon (3-4ish?), the daytrippers and souvenir vendors will begin thinning out. Pisa in the late afternoon sunlight can be very beautiful.

Posted by
2026 posts

We did this and had a very nice day. We took the train from Florence and spent most of our time in Lucca, riding bikes on the wall and had lunch. Returning to the train we discovered Pisa was an easy option and jumped on, took a bus from the train station to the tower area and back, and returned to Florence that evening. It was easy to do and we enjoyed it all.

Posted by
11294 posts

I saw these Lucca and Pisa in one day in March 1989, and it remains one of my great travel memories. Definitely do it the way I did - Lucca first. By the time I got to Pisa, the tour buses were leaving, the souvenir vendors were literally packing up, and the marble in the Field of Miracles (where the Leaning Tower is) looked lovely in the afternoon light.

Posted by
2455 posts

Another endoresement for going to Lucca first, walk through the old town inside the walls (the train station is just outside the walls, maybe a 5-minute walk to a Gate through the walls, maybe go up the tower. Then enjoy a nice lunch, or even a picnic in the park atop the walls. There is a Grom gelateria in an ancient building, on the main shopping street, unless it has been re-located since I was there back in 2012. Then go on to Pisa mid-afternoon, and enjoy the tower, and nearby sites, in the beautiful late afternoon toward sunset light, with fewer fellow tourists around. A wonderful day, assuming that the weather is good.

Posted by
15193 posts

Yes. But do Lucca first. There is more to see in Lucca and from Pisa it's a quick train ride back with trains traveling till late at night (10:30pm)

Posted by
2487 posts

When coming from Lucca, get off at the San Rossore station in Pisa. From there it's a 10-minute walk to the Miracle Field. Don't forget to visit the Baptistery and the Duomo. They are both wonderful. Getting back to Florence is best done from Pisa Centrale.

Posted by
370 posts

Another vote for visiting Lucca first, the train takes 1.5 hours through some beautiful areas from Florence. Then go over to Pisa when hopefully, some of the tour buses have left. Don't forget to visit the beautiful Campo Santo (Holy Field) behind the cathedral. Not only is it a great cemetery, there are multiple rooms filled with the photos and videos of the fire from the bombing during WWII. The (resilient) Italians created a monument that many overlook during their visit.

Posted by
365 posts

Agree save most of the day for Lucca. I would go to Pisa early morning 3 hours is enough. Check out Advanced tickets for the sites that interest you. Have a snack then go to Lucca. Shop, ride a bike, decide what your priority is. Have an early dinner and head back to Florence.
Have a wonderful time.

Lorieann