Please sign in to post.

Pickpocket safety

Sorry for multiple posts today, just want all my ducks in a row :)

I am not worrying too much about pickpockets, but obviously I don’t want to be an idiot about it either. Do these sound like appropriate precautions?

I am going to carry a Travelon cross body bag. Debit card and days cash (plus water, cell, drivers license and camera) only.

H is going to have a “theft proof” backpack, but it is only going to hold jackets, guide book and any other thing like that we may need for the day.

H will also wear money belt with passports and extra cash, along with his debit card.

Copies of passports, passport cards, emergency credit card and electronics other than camera and phones in hotel safe.

Obviously we will be aware of our surroundings and have read up on prevalent scams. We are in big US cities often so have a pretty decent ability to keep our wits about us.

Anything I am missing?

Posted by
956 posts

You are really well prepared. I can't think of anything else.

Posted by
27190 posts

Do you not plan to use credit cards for day-to-day expenses? I carry one of those around with me. Even though you are splitting them up, I wouldn't walk around with both of the ATM (debit) cards unless you have a specific need to do so--such as to get a large amount of cash to pay for lodgings that don't take plastic.

Posted by
16 posts

No credit card day to day, it will just be for emergencies. Plan to use mostly cash taken from ATMs at banks. But we could certainly take Hs credit card and my debit card (or the other way around) and leave one of each in the hotel safe :)

Posted by
6127 posts

We both wear money belts, carry our own passports. We figure if anything ever happened to us at least we each have a passport to get home with.
Also in money belt we each have our travel insurance info- just a small slip of paper with insurance info and emergency contact on other side. My husband carries the bulk of cash in his, I usually have a 50€ in mine. We each have a different credit card in our money belt. I keep my debit card in my money belt.
We try to mostly use cash. Just replenish the "daily cash" from money belt as needed. The money belts never leave our sight- on our bodies once we are showered/dressed in am til we go to bed. I hardly notice I am wearing it, quite comforting though to know it is there.

I carry a cross body bag- not too big- just has a few euros- I end up carrying the coins- they really add up and get heavy in a pocket-, kleenex/wipes, cell and charger, map, my tums!,

Husband has a small travel wallet w/clip- keeps that in his zipped front pocket with the day’s cash, debit card and carries the day pack with whatever we need- hats, water, jackets, lunch…

I don’t see any reason to carry your driver’s license around unless you are driving.

We put our iPads, kindles in hotel safe.
I give passport info, contact numbers, flight info to my most trusted sister and to my daughter.

Posted by
5405 posts

I leave my passport in the hotel room and carry other ID on me. I just use a normal backpack and use my cards for everything - no cash.

Posted by
6113 posts

I have taken lesser precautions when travelling in third world countries and never had anything stolen. You have it covered.

Posted by
5405 posts

Jennifer - I may not agree with you on Portugal, but I totally agree with what you have said above. I lived in West Africa for 7 years and wouldn't have gone to these lengths traveling in that region. I'm sure the OP will be just fine.

Posted by
2768 posts

Sounds great to me. It’s more than I do, but not extreme. You will be fine.

I always say that the most important security feature is your brain. No amount of security will prevent a bag you leave unattended from possibly being stolen, for example. Or no security feature would prevent you from an unethical vendor insisting you gave him $5 not $50 (the bills are similar color). Just be alert and somewhat skeptical of scam-type things!

Posted by
1018 posts

When we are in Roma or any large city in Italy I use a money belt containing my passport, other id, and my passport. I carry cash in my pocket, but only enough for that day's expenses. The only time I use a credit card is to pay for the hotel or car rental agency. Everything else is cash and the merchants and restaurant owners seem to prefer the currency.

Buon viaggio,

Posted by
238 posts

I was a bit concerned before our March trip but there was no need to - took my normal travel precautions and we were fine

Wife has a Travelon cross body bag an i had purchased a PacSafe backpack but as i was concerned about not being able to take it on our Scavi Tour, into the Vatican and Colosseum, I left it home and I took my trusty old Maxpedition, tactical cross body bag and kept my wallet in my front pocket under it. I also kept cash in a money belt. This was the same setup we used in Prague, Paris, Amsterdam and a few other places. Did not have a single issue.

Emily - if the OP is a US citizen, they will have to carry their passports

Posted by
3207 posts

I'm not supportive of one person carrying all the passports and/or credit cards, etc. Each person should have sufficient documents/financials to get him/her out of an area/country. Otherwise, you are more protected more than I usually am and I've never had an incident. Take back your passport, etc and enjoy your trip!

Posted by
2116 posts

No credit card day to day, it will just be for emergencies. Plan to use mostly cash taken from ATMs at banks.

I'm curious about your cash vs credit card use strategy. The last time we were in Italy, we only used cash for small purchases from local venders such as a slice of pizza in San Gimignano or lunch from an out of the way diner in Florence. Credit card use is ubiquitous, both by visitors and residents.

Your security plan is well thought out. As far as money belt use goes, I tried to have a little cash in a more accessible location. When needed, I'd find a private spot to transfer more cash from the money belt.

My job requires regular situational awareness training. Since you are from LA (I went to college there), I'm sure you are a veteran of assessing your situation and understanding the underlying threat level. When I'm checking out the situation in crowded areas I can't help but notice the unaware and the signals of vulnerability they often display.

Posted by
506 posts

We use cash for small purchases but have a credit card that'll give me 3% back on out of country purchases so we use this for meals and larger purchases.
Jean

Posted by
5405 posts

Herfnerd - I am a US Citizen and I carry a copy of my passport and/or alternate identification whenever I travel. That's my choice.

Posted by
201 posts

I have been fortunate to have traveled throughout Europe many times - i prefer credit cards as much as possible. I like to have cash on hand as well, but try to limit the amount.

Also, I am very careful wrt pickpockets.. but all of us have momentary lapses of judgement. Mine came in Rome, had more cash on hand than i normally use, and although i had a money belt, i absentmindedly put the cash in my pocket. Getting on the crowded subway, a typical pickpocket scenario is the person attempting to get on the full train at the last second when the doors are about too close. They get on, push forward, pickpocket, then get off as the doors close.. Don't ask me how I know ...

Glenn

Posted by
15829 posts

Yep, sounds like you have it covered. Well done! Now you can relax and sightsee without much worry about light fingers!

I'll echo the advice about the Travelon bag (we have a Pacsafe cross-body bag). It's only a protective device if you use it properly: lock the zippers to compartments holding anything of value; don't hang it off the back of a chair; don't set it at your feet; wear it as intended with strap across your chest.

We've both walked around with a small amount of cash in an exterior pocket and never had it lifted but we wouldn't do it with amounts we couldn't afford to lose.

Oh, and items you store in the hotel safe? We've made a habit of unloading the safe just before we go to bed on our last night, so we don't forget. Some folks put an item they KNOW they would miss - like a shoe - in the safe as reminder to do that. Also do a trial run on entering a personal code and locking/unlocking the safe before you put anything in it. :O)

Posted by
238 posts

Emily - I understand

However, Italian law requires all foreign citizens to carry government issued ID and as US driver's licenses are not recognized, that only leaves a passport. I guess I am a little concerned about recommending carrying a photocopy counter to what the law requires

Posted by
6127 posts

I'm not supportive of one person carrying all the passports and/or credit cards, etc. Each person should have sufficient documents/financials to get him/her out of an area/country. <<

This bears repeating. As I posted above we EACH carry our own passport- not a copy- the real thing. To me it is the most valuable thing I have while traveling, why would I leave that at my hotel?
It is not only your ID but it will get you out of the country and home. A copy will not.
If my husband and I should ever be separated we each have our “lifeline”. (Again- Passport and a credit card will get you to safety- a piece of paper will not)

Stuff happens- I am not a paranoid person but stuff happens. Fires, floods, accidents, illness, explosions, I am sure any tourist who has had the misfortune of getting caught up in a catastrophic event never thought it would happen to them. But stuff happens. If your passport is back at your hotel and you can’t get back to that hotel what good is it?

Plus Italian law does require that you have it on you as Herfnerd has said.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks everyone!

Just to be clear, we will have our passports. Just the copies of the passports and our passport cards (which we have in addition to the actual passport) will be in hotel safe. I have heard having the passport card can be helpful in case of a lost passport, and we have them anyway since we can use those for Mexico and Canada.

I was trying to get out of wearing a money belt myself which is why H would have both passports. I would definitely have access to money, ID, hotel etc if something were to happen. I am not completely insane ;) Will think this over though.

I don’t want to over stress and generally feel much safer in most of Europe than in the US!