Please sign in to post.

Picking up rental car in Florence

We want to rent a car in Florence for 10 days of touring in Tuscany this May. It will be on Sunday and the only locations open are at the airport and in the downtown. I prefer to pick up in town because of the cheaper price. My question is, are the dreaded ZTLs in effect on Sundays? Some things I have read indicate that they are not. Any help on this one?

Posted by
120 posts

We rented a car in Florence from a company (Avis?) that was walking distance from the train station and once there, we were given directions and a map for the best way out of town. We had spent some time with google maps, knew roughly where we were going and managed to stay out of the ZTL zones. It turned out very well for us so I can recommend it. We did not drive around Florence though, we headed directly out of town!

Posted by
25 posts

Steve and Terry, Thank you for your replies. I booked the rental car from the downtown location because its much cheaper than the airport option and we don't have the expense of a taxi or bus out of town. Since ZTLs are not in effect on Sunday we can just take the most direct route out of town and not worry about getting one of those nice presents in the mail six months later. Also I'm going to turn the rental in in Orvieto and train to Rome. Thanks again.

Posted by
25 posts

ZTLs are limited traffic zones. Their purpose is to limit traffic in highly congested areas, especially in the older, highly popular tourist zones such as Florence and Siena. Only residents and other designated persons are allowed to enter these zones in their vehicles. Unauthorized vehicles entering these zones are photographed and issued tickets in the 100 Euro range. Old Florence is divided into 5 contiguous zones and unsuspecting tourists who drive into the zones will get a nasty surprise in the mail some months later from their rental car company and the city fathers.

Posted by
9110 posts

The first post is incorrect. ZTL's in Florence are effective from 7:30 to 7:30 Monday through Friday and 7:30 to 6:00 on Saturday. They are not effective at any time on Sundays and national holidays.

Even if you have to pick up the car during hours the ZTL's are in effect, the car rental agency can take care of getting you unpenalized exit from as well as entry back into the zones.