Please sign in to post.

Piazza Navona

I have heard that the artists no longer set up in Piazza Navona like they used to. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Posted by
2047 posts

Just read a TripAdvisor posting on Piazza Navona written yesterday that mentioned artists.

Posted by
1045 posts

The artists seem to still be there. What I really miss though are the musicians and break dancers. Rome has imposed a licensing restriction on street performers. There still some good ones in Trastevere at Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. Musicians and fun stuff for little kids.

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi Bob,

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma.html

I discovered the above site ages ago and have very often suggested to travelers to browse the Piazza, city or region of interest. It's a fun watch.

Each cam is strategically placed to give a "bird's eye" view of popular Piazzas, Churches, Streets, Monuments, and so on.

Click on each attraction, at different times of the day, to get an idea of the happenings and hustle and bustle of each.

Piazza Navona is quite beautiful. Even if you don't see artists when you are there, I doubt you will be disappointed.

During the return of the Christmas Market at Piazza Navona last year, I did see a couple of the painting artisans. Yes, I realize it was in December. Not sure if they have limited times of year.

Check out Campo de' Fiori, Piazza Della Rotonda (Pantheon), Piazza di Spagna, and even the area around Castel Sant' Angelo - down the road from St. Peter's Basilica (I saw a solo guitarist on the bridge.)

When I was in Rome a couple of times, I caught the same street musicians at most of the Piazzas I mentioned above. I first saw and heard them at Piazza della Rotonda.

They moved around to various places at different times.

My point is, for your interest in the painting artisans; although they are or have been known to be around Navona, they may have to or want to move to other areas for certain reasons.

Maybe you may not catch them at Navona, but may catch them in and around the Piazza neighborhoods. You never know.

Inquire at the shops surrounding Navona. Perhaps shopkeepers can give an idea or perhaps know "about what times" the artisans show up.

Or, wandering the streets, you may stumble upon them.

Good luck.

Posted by
1075 posts

It’s funny that you mention this because my husband and I first went to Rome in 2006 and I remember Piazza Navona being a madhouse of vendors and what not. We were there last summer (mid-July) and it felt very sterile and I could not put my finger on it until this post. There was a complete absence of any kind of sellers or artists. Maybe they only restrict them in the high season so that there is more room for tourists to be able to walk?