Please sign in to post.

passports

My wife and I have valid passports. However her passport is in her maiden name.Can she use this passport and show a marriage certificate with her married name or must she get a new passport showing her married name. We are travelling ti Rome, Italy. Thanks

Posted by
32216 posts

Michael, if your wife changed her name when she married, I believe she MUST use her married name on her Passport. The name used to book airline tickets must exactly match that shown on the Passport. Good luck!

Posted by
211 posts

This happened to my son. If you dont have time to change the passport, make sure, as one poster noted, that her airline ticket is in her passport name. If you have it as Mr and Mrs ____, they probably wont give her a boarding pass at the airport checkin counter.

Posted by
1170 posts

What about couples who have just been married and whose name change has not been processed yet. Surely there is a work-around for this situation.

Posted by
7209 posts

The Workaround: Book tickets in whatever name appears on your passport.

Posted by
23297 posts

No one cares in Europe what your name is or if you are married. But the airlines and immigrations do. So make sure that the passport name absolutely matches the airline ticket. There are married people who maintain separate names with no problems.