Please sign in to post.

Passport renewal

I am planning to book a trip to Palermo and then Naples for a trip extending from New Year’s to January 16. My passport expires in May 2024. I am afraid to try to renew ithe passport ,now because I may not receive a new passport in time for a late December departure. . According to what I read on the US government website, Italy requires a balance of 3 months on the US passport for exiting Italy and returning to the US. Following this rule, returning to the US around mid January, I should have no problem returning to this country. Is there any reason you know of to doubt this? Some countries require a six month window, but Italy doesn’t seem to.

Has anyone had recent experience travelling to Italy with more than three months, but less than six months, on their passport?

Thanks so much

Posted by
7887 posts

The six month window is based off the maximum 90 days you could spend in a Schengen country plus the 3 months after exit you mentioned, so roughly 6 months.

But to your issue, it will come down to what the airline you fly allows. The airlines are the ones who check documents and decide whether to allow you to board as part of their legal responsibility. For them to err, can result in a hefty fine and they are responsible for flying you home.

One tool you can check out is here: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com You can enter in detailed information in the database and get an answer. Some airlines use this same database. If you fly a specific airline, call them and see if they can answer, especially if you buy tickets.

Posted by
680 posts

You may want to investigate “same day” passport renewal as an option. It’s only available if you have confirmed travel within two weeks of your request for this service.

Posted by
27 posts

Thank you. All this info was very helpful. Rather than applying for an expedited passport and sitting on pins and needles hoping it will come in time, we are going to the book the trip as planned. It will be tight. If anything unexpected comes up that forces us to stay in Italy an extra two weeks, we will have a headache on our hands, but we are comfortable (pretty much) with this decision.

Posted by
7887 posts
  • It will be tight. If anything unexpected comes up that forces us to stay in Italy an extra two weeks,*

I will just restate, if there is an issue with your passport, what will happen is that you will not even board your flight in the US, you will never get to Italy. You will show up for check-in, and they will say "sorry, your not going".

That is why you need to verify with the airline.

Posted by
1529 posts

I agree with Paul. Getting back home is not the issue. It’s being allowed to board your plane to Italy in the first place, and being allowed to enter the country in the second place that you should be very concerned about.
Contact the airline and make them confirm the answer to you in writing (via email).

Posted by
139 posts

I agree with Paul and Dutch_traveler. A close friend had checked official sources (for US and destination country), all of which said 3 months validity on passport were required for her destination. The airline disagreed, she was denied boarding, and she missed her trip. Check with the airline.

Posted by
609 posts

It's at the airlines' discretion to let you board because it is on them (their expense) to get you back to the US if you are denied entry to another country. So as others have said, it's not your return flight that's the issue, it's your initial departure. I would renew the passport. Wait times have gotten shorter recently as the summer travel rush abated.

Posted by
11719 posts

I would renew the passport. Wait times have gotten shorter recently as the summer travel rush abated.

If it not for the spoiled brats in D.C. not even being able to agree the sun rises in the East, I would have suggested the expedited renewal. But the passport processors could be part of the laid off group, if there is no budget agreement.

At this point getting an unequivocal written response from the airline that they are good to go seems the best hope/option for bugsy.

Posted by
27 posts

Thank you everyone. I have assurances from the airlines involved that I will be able to fly, so I am not renewing my passport until I get back from this trip.( And yes, I did factor the possible govt. shutdown into the calculation!)

Posted by
14 posts

Weirdly, the only other item that American Airlines was shouting out to people in our boarding line for our Italy trip in mid-October was to make sure that your passport was signed; otherwise, they made them get out of the very crowded line to board. Have a good trip!

Posted by
27608 posts

I've been flying the United Alliance to Europe; haven't been on American in ages. I've heard the "be sure your passport is signed" exhortation several times.

Posted by
397 posts

Out of an abundance of curiosity, how does one get issued with a passport that does not already have your sample signature on the opening pages, 1 & 2 as part of the thick polycarbonate security feature?

Regards Ron

Posted by
20905 posts

Don't know what the new ones are like, but I had to sign mine that is now 9 years old and about to expire. First time I used it, same thing happened to me The gate agent said "This is not a valid passport." Then smiled and handed me a pen.

Posted by
397 posts

Thanks Sam

This is our current series.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-26/australia-new-r-series-passport-international-travel-dfat/102024702?utm_campaign=newsweb-article-new-share-null&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

Note the embedded signature on the picture page. And other new security features.

Got my new one last month. It was starting to fill up and the new ones are issued under the direction of Charles R Third. Thought that was cool. Not expensive. Took 9 working days. Standard fee.

To the best of my recollection have never signed a standard issued passport. Checked my last one has my signature embedded on page 2 under my picture with my other details. Could also be electronically encoded in the old hard cardboard security center page. Earlier ones have been archived.

As a supposedly reliable upright professional with a reasonable knowledge of the law, and academic qualifications I can certify that new applicants have presented me with the correct documentation, and I then certify that the person has signed the application in my presence. The application includes the applicants sample signature. which I also certify.

Then the applicant goes to the Post Office to lodge the paperwork.

Renewals are usually done online. With a new photo, and written verification that info lodged online is true and correct. Then lodged at the post office.

Regards Ron

Posted by
11719 posts

Had to look at my US Passport ( not the New style) and after looking found where to sign it. Have not had occasion to use it since getting it; just used the passport card for domestic air travel.

Thanks for the alert to 'sign it'.