Please sign in to post.

Passport

Do I have to carry my passport with me? Or can I carry the first to pages xeroxed with me and leave the original at the hotel? I have always carried the original with me in the past, but have heard other stories on this.

Posted by
4152 posts

The law says yes, but some people make copies and leave the original in their hotel room. I've never been stopped in all my trips to Rome so I leave mine in the room and carry a copy. It's really up to you. If you do carry it with you put it in a money belt so it's secure. Donna

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks Donna. I will be using a money belt.

Posted by
3313 posts

I have never been asked for it. But, I always carry it in my money belt so it happens to be with me at almost all times.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks Doug. Thats been my philosophy too and I think I would be nervous without it.

Posted by
10235 posts

We just left Italy a couple of days ago. We had to produce our passports every time we bought a train ticket. Our tickets were purchased at Termini, and from two different travel agents.

Posted by
39 posts

You also need your actual passport if you purchase any items that qualify for the VAT refund.

Posted by
7569 posts

Whether or not it is your Passport, you should at least have some type of ID on you.