Please sign in to post.

passport

When traveling overseas do you need a passport AND your drivers license or can you leave your drivers license at home?

Posted by
9100 posts

Even though I never drive in Europe, I usually bring my DL. It could used as a backup ID if you lock-up you passport in the hotel room safe. Also some museums ask for collateral if you want to use the audioguides, DLs are usually accepted.

Posted by
800 posts

No, you do not NEED your passport and DL. You need a form of ID to get through security at the airport. When you fly domestically of course you use your DL. But flying internationally you will use your passport to get through security and then you NEED the passport for customs & immigration.

If I were sure that I wasn't renting a car I would leave the DL at home. Here in Atlanta it is a nightmare to get it replaced should it be lost. I figure it is just one more thing to keep up with so if I don't need it, I don't bring it.

Posted by
13 posts

IIRC my husband left his drivers license as an ID when we rented audio guides at Dachau. I think I would rather do that than leave my passport. Just something to think about.

Lisa

Posted by
7737 posts

You also may need a government photo ID to use an internet cafe (depends on the cafe and whether they follow the rules or not) and I'd much rather hand over my DL than my passport.