Please sign in to post.

Parma food tours?

Can anyone recommend a food tour (Prosciutto and Parmesean) from Parma? Most that I find seem to leave from Bologna.

There would be 2 adults, 2 seniors, and one chlid. We will not have a car, so looking for a tour that includes transportation as well.

Also welcome your suggestions for favorite restaurants and salumeria in Parma.

Thanks!

Posted by
9 posts

thanks! do you have any recommendations for "private" tours from parma that include transportation?

Posted by
1701 posts

A search for "parma food tours" in the box at the top of this webpage yields over 200 hits. You can make a rough sort on the age of the questions.

Posted by
64 posts

My wife and I were in Parma for 4 nights about one month ago. We did a private food tour from Parma arranged by Laura Panella. Google her name and foodtours.it. The tour included pick up, drop off, lunch and visits to producers of Parmesan, Prosciutto and Balsamic Vinegar. Tour was from about 9am - 3pm. There were just the two of us, though, so not sure if they have vehicles large enough for five (you would need to check). I think I originally found Laura's name from other posters on this forum. Another option would be to hire a private guide who could separately line up a private driver for touring. We hired a private guide named Nathalie Zaveroni in Bologna for two separate walking tours and she also does tours in Parma. Nathalie was wonderful! She has contacts with a driver in Parma who she could possibly collaborate with and she may be able to provide you a quote for a food tour. Check out her website. As a third option, check with your hotel, they might have trusted guides they suggest.
In Parma we had a nice dinner at Restaurant Gallo D Oro, which was suggested by our hotel when we were looking for an early dinner. They opened at around 5:00pm (we found that most restaurants did not open until 7:00pm). We had a very nice lunch at Restaurant Angiol D'Or. For great take out sandwiches we really liked Pepen, which had a wide variety of delicious sandwiches. I think they are open for lunch and early evening. We also had wine and snacks at wine bar Tabarro.

Posted by
64 posts

Forgot to add to previous post that we walked by the salumeria in Parma that Stanley Tucci visited in his series Searching for Italy. This is Salumeria Garibaldi. We did not eat there because we ran out of time, but the place looked great. There were several tables of people enjoying large platters of local meats and cheeses. Will go there next time we are in the area.

Posted by
322 posts

I highly recommend ExploreEmilia. They don't include transportation as a matter of course, but will gladly and easily arrange it for you. When we booked with them and asked them for transportation, we had some special considerations. They put us in touch with a driver who could meet our needs and that we were able to hire for two other days as well. They will also customize their standard tours if there is something in particular you want (or don't want). I can't recommend them highly enough based on our experience. Our group was just like yours except we had three seniors.