Please sign in to post.

Parma

Hi,

I’m planning an August trip to Switzerland and Italy. Going from Chicago to Zurich, train to Lauterbrunnen/Murren (3 nights) then to Como (1 night), Bellagio (1 night), train from Varenna to Parma (2 nights), then Venice (3 nights), Venice to Milan ( 1 night), Milan MXP to Chicago.

In Parma - I’d really like to see some wineries and do food wine tours - if anyone has recommendations I’d love to hear them. Ideally a tour that would pick us up from the hotel in Parma but I’m also open to renting a car if that’s better/easier.

Thank you!

Posted by
2274 posts

While the Emilia-Romagna may have the best cheese, the best cured meats, and the best pasta, the best balsamic vinegar, in all of Italy, they ain't exactly the hot region for wines - forget what they say about Lambrusco. Aside from that, be sure to cap off your meals with a glass or 2 of Nocino.

If you do end up in Parma, I liked staying at the Hotel Stendahl, which I see now is part of the Mercure chain, and I don't know if that's good or bad.

You can never go wrong stopping by Salumeria Garibaldi, in Parma, to pick up a whole range of everything that is great about the food of the Emilia-Romagna.

Posted by
7123 posts

There’s several options on TripAdvisor for the more traditional food tours around Parma of their delicious prosciutto di Parma & Parmigiano-Reggiano. Some include the Torrechiara castle, also. They are concentrating on the area specialities vs. a vineyard tour.

Posted by
7123 posts

I will add this, just in case it sounds fun for you. I am planning to take a bike tour in Parma and surrounding area with Davide Pagani of bikefoodstories.it

We will meet at the train station and pick up bikes to go to a cheese factory, a farmhouse for lunch. It’s 70 Euro for a half day - an extra 25 Euro if you would like an ebike.

Posted by
1654 posts

A few years ago, I did a tour with Discover by Laura and was very pleased. I also recommended her to friends the next year and they were also pleased.
It’s not a wine tour per se, but so much more. She includes a Parmesan making tour, Prosciutto, balsamico and wine - plus lunch. She picked me up right outside my rental. Especially watching them make the Parmesan was amazing.