Please sign in to post.

Parking outside of Rome

My family and I will be staying in a small town east of Orte and we will have a rental car. When we visit Rome we would like to drive to a location outside the ring road around Rome and take the train in. We would like to drive closer in than Orte. Can anyone recommend a train station off the A1 that has parking?

Posted by
2207 posts

There is parking at the Rebibbia Metro station but you'd have to get there early as many Romans do the "Park and ride" from there. That's on the east side of town, very close to the GRA (ring road) and an easy connection. On the other side of town is La Giustiniana, a train station that will allow you to commute into town (connect to Roma San Pietro, Roma Trastevere, Roma Ostiense, etc). It is just outside the GRA on the Via Cassia, also easily accessible. It has parking options. These may be perhaps some of the easiest. Rebibbia tends to fill up early as that's a metro Line B connection. I'd take a look at Google Maps to get your bearings. You can also look at parking options, like garages, in Rome and on the outskirts of Rome - See Parking in Rome for some options. And don't forget to get an International Driving Permit before coming. You don't want your trip ruined if you get stopped at a Random Traffic Stop, which they sometimes do on roads leading into Rome. Your other option is to just to train in from Orte. That would be the least expensive (and least hassle method) if you are just seeing Rome for the day. It's only a 45 minute ride from Orte on the Regionale train to Rome - much faster (and less expensive) than driving, parking, and then commuting. Good Luck!

Posted by
3 posts

Ron, thanks for the information. It was very helpful.