Please sign in to post.

Parking in Rome

Hi everyone, The help on this site is amazing- I've learned a lot! We are renting a car for our 2 week stay in Italy, but for the 3 days in Rome, what should I do with it? The 2 options I can see are dropping it off and then re-renting, or parking it somewhere. We are staying relatively near Piazza Navona. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Robert in Montreal

Posted by
15146 posts

If your stay in Rome is at the end of your trip, I would return the car early. If it's at the beginning, I would start renting the car after Rome. If it's in the middle of your trip, that wasn't great planning. You should have organized the trip with Rome at the beginning or the end (before or after the car rental). See if you can do without the car before or after. Keeping a rental car for 3 days to stay parked in a garage the entire time is a waste. You still have to pay for the daily rental (probably at least 40-50 euro a day with insurance) plus the parking charges. A parking garage near piazza Navona will probably charge you at least 20 euro a day and I doubt apartments in that area of the centro storico have their own garages.

Posted by
80 posts

Hi Roberto, Yes, it's bad, but necessary planning- we're maximizing the Italy trip, lengthwise, but need to be in Rome on the specific dates, so we land in Rome, leave Rome immediately, then return to Rome for 3 days, after which we'll need the car. Maybe it's worth the hassle to rent twice, instead of keeping the car for no real reason. I'll look into that. Thanks, Robert

Posted by
800 posts

Have you checked with your hotel as to parking options? The last time we drove into Rome we were at the end of our trip and so only had to park it for the one night. Our hotel had parking available so it made sense for us to drive in then drive out the next morning and return it to the airport. Its a matter of cost versus convenience. For some trips we have chosen to "eat" the cost of our car sitting for 2-3 days in a parking garage (usually arranged or suggested by our hotel). For others we have dropped the car off at our previous destination and taken the train into the next city.

Posted by
80 posts

Hi Karen, We're staying in an apartment, so I doubt that parking is available, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask! Thanks, Robert

Posted by
800 posts

Yes - ask your apartment rental. Even if they don't provide parking they may tell you where you can park. When we were in Amsterdam, for example, there was no parking at the B&B but they told us where the central parking garage was and we just parked it there.

Posted by
32200 posts

Robert, You'll need to be VERY careful to avoid Zona Traffico Limitato areas, which exist in most cities in Italy. Expensive fines will be the end result! I can't remember where the ZTL areas are, but hopefully Ron in Rome or one of the others will have more specific information. Also note that each driver will require the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. Failure to produce an I.D.P. if requested may result in fines on the spot! BTW, have the over zealous "Language Police" in Montreal decided to allow the BuonaNotte Italian restaurant to retain the word "Pasta" on their Menu??? Cheers!

Posted by
80 posts

Thanks Ken- I'll try to be careful of the dreaded ZTL. Yes, I believe that 'pasta' will soon be going on the list of 'accepted' words.. amazing, huh?! Robert