Please sign in to post.

Parking in Florence

We will have a car when we arrive in Florence. We are staying in an Airbnb inside the historic district of Florence and it is recommended that we park our car in one of the parking centers. Just wondering if anyone is very familiar with the ZTL rules. I think it said that rentals could drive in to drop off luggage, but does anyone have any advice on this? Also, does anyone know what it costs to park in these garages per day. The one they recommended was Garage Sole but there was no pricing listed on their site and I'm not sure if I have to make a reservation in advance for the car. Thank you so much. Any advice is appreciated.

Posted by
8072 posts

No matter what 'they say' about being on lists not to be fined or driving certain approved roads in the ZTL, a tourist who tries it is almost certain to occur expensive fines. I would never plan to drive into Florence and park. If you have a car, you should get a hotel outside the ZTL.

Posted by
16893 posts

This is one paragraph of several from Rick's Florence parking notes on p. 473 of the Italy book:

If you have a reservation at a hotel within the ZTL area that has parking, ask them (in advance) if they can get you permission to enter town. Similarly, some parking garages within the ZTL area may be able to register you. But in general, it's risky to take that chance unless you've verified in advance that it's possible.

Since you are staying at a possibly unlicensed AirBnb property, they might not have any official channels to handle the permit and would be counting on the garage to handle it. Text in the book also reminds you that if you drive around in circles and cross the wrong line more than once, you can earn more than one ticket pretty easily.

Posted by
32214 posts

kg,

Based on some of the experiences that have been mentioned here on the Forum, hotels may say that they've registered the license with the authorities allowing drivers to drop luggage at the hotel, but despite that people end up getting fined anyway. Another factor is that the permission to enter the historic area may include only the most direct route, and that doesn't include wandering aimlessly around other parts of the city. It's possible that people not familiar with the layout of the city may get lost and venture off the approved route, thereby getting a ticket. Finally, it's important to remember that EACH pass through a ZTL Camera will result in a ticket.

Especially in Florence, having a car is definitely a disadvantage. Hopefully Roberto will spot this Thread as I'm sure he will have some good suggestions.

Posted by
247 posts

Unless you NEED the car while in Florence, I'd just drop it off at the airport and pick up a new one when you are done sightseeing in the city. The airport (based on my own footwork) seems to be the easiest place to get in/out of without getting near the ZTL or getting turned around in areas with one-way streets or other difficulties.

Posted by
15204 posts

You can enter if you are going to return your rental car or if you go to a garage or to a hotel. But you are going to a private apartment. I don't know if you will be able to have a permit to go.

When I have a car, I never enter the ZTL if I have to go through a photo camera gate. There are areas of the ZTL where you can enter without going through a camera, but you also need to know your way. My suggestion is to find an apartment outside the ZTL or get rid of the car (or park it at a garage outside).

The only way to obtain a temporary permit is through the Municipal Police:
go to the link below to see locations (click on the "elenco sedi" link under "reparti territoriali"
http://www.comune.fi.it/export/sites/retecivica/comune_firenze/sicurezza_emergenza/polizia_municipale/corpo_di_polizia/organizzazione_interna.htm

They can give temporary permits (permessi provvisori) not sure if you qualify.

Posted by
500 posts

ZTL accesses are watched by cameras. Residents' cars have small radio beacons turning off cameras, all other cars accessing restricted zones out of allowed times are photographed and their plate numbers inserted in a list. The list is compared with a "white list" of allowed plate numbers; if their number is not on the white list, a fine is automatically issued. In order to enter the white list, you should ask your hotel or garage to insert your plate number in the list (now a small processing fee is due). This can be done in a short time window after accessing the area; you should better check in advance that your host is connected to the municipal computer system to do so.

If you want to be sure, you may do as locals (but not resident in the city center) do: before accessing the restricted area, you stop at a municipal police station and have a pass (permesso temporaneo) issued, so you are sure you are in the white list and you have in your hand a white list receipt. The list of such police station is an elusive pdf file that you can get googling "PM Reparti Territoriali.pdf Firenze". Only loading/unloading passes are issued, again for a small fee, no long term permits unless you are a resident, no parking permits for the center. Passes are issued for a single zone so do not roam the center and are time limited. It is necessary to have your passport and the car documents (old polluting cars are not allowed).

Be careful to avoid bus lanes - notably those in via de' Panzani, via Valfonda, via del Gelsomino, via de' Benci. They are watched by cameras as well but unless you are a bus or a taxi no permit is valid at any time.

What would I do? I would leave my car at one of the parking silos of Firenze Parcheggi - all but the railway station one have a daily price cap. A place like the Parterre or the Porta a Prato parking. Then I would move my luggage to a taxi to reach my central apartment. Probably cheaper than a central private garage and easier. You call taxis by phoning +39-055-4390 or +39-055-4242.