Please sign in to post.

Parking in Florence

Coming north toward Florence from the Firenza/Certosa area, does anyone have a recommendation for parking just south of the Arno River?

Posted by
354 posts

You might consider parking in the Piazzale Michelangelo. Not sure how long you are needing to park, but this space would probably be considered short-term parking. There is at least one bus that picks up from the piazzale, and travels north across the river.

Posted by
362 posts

I am going to guess this Certosa del Galuzzo http://www.florence-on-line.com/museums/certosa-del-galluzzo.html which is where the SIFI ends pretty much - Parking at the Piazzale Michelangelo is a great choice from there. If not, come down the hill and over the river, and you have Sant'Amborgio and Piazza Beccaria - two pay garages (about euro 1.50 an hour I think). You can find ZTL camera info and parking places starting here: http://www.florence-journal.com/florence/2009/12/ztl-autovelox-map-for-florence.html Your biggest concern is bearing right at the light onto Via del Gelsomino http://bit.ly/cJQCCY and not going straight there - you will have to copy and paste the URLs since they changed this forum...

Posted by
262 posts

we parked at Piazza Michelangelo both days that we drove up from Chianti and it was easy to get to and a great view

Posted by
8 posts

Sincere thanks to those who provided answers to parking south of the Arno. Much appreciated

Posted by
362 posts

"I don't think I would park my car in an unattended public parking lot overnight" is really not much of a concern in Florence. Especially if it is a rental car and you are insured :) There is very little crime of this kind in Florence. There are people in that piazza until very late at night, early in the morning, and lots of police, security, taxis, buses etc. at most times. Would you be worried about someone breaking into it, or stealing it? I think the odds are astronomical frankly. We have been parking (yes it isn't the greatest) car on the street here in Florence for years - without incidence. Just my .02 cents (which I seem to dropping all over the place this evening...)

Posted by
1170 posts

I don't think I would park my car in an unattended public parking lot overnight (Piazzale Michelangelo). I wouldn't do it in the U.S. and certainly wouldn't in Italy. Contact your hotel and have them give you recommendations close-by to where you are staying. I would avoid driving into or through the historic center anyway to avoid getting fined (heavily). Just make certain that your plates are registered by your hotel with the local authorities.

Posted by
1170 posts

@ Anthony, I am just one to err on the side of caution. I don't even like to park my own vehicle in my own driveway or in front of my house on the street. Covered and out of sight is my mantra.

Posted by
1003 posts

Recently returned from Italy and we drove to Florence for the day from San Gim. parking for the entire day at P. Michelangelo. Parking was free and very easy to get to with our trusty GPS we brought along from home.

Posted by
362 posts

LOL Scott I had not seen your response! Janet - how did you get back and forth to town? Bus, taxi, walking?