Please sign in to post.

Parking and driving in Monterosso 2023

We are travelling to Monterosso Sept 23 -26 and would like to know if it is better to park in La Spezia or Monterosso . I have heard the drive in is dangerous with the winding roads to Monterosso.
Any current info would be appreciated.

Posted by
3812 posts

Where are you driving from? Milan? Florence? Genoa?

The road is dangerous if you are not used at all to mountain roads, otherwise it's quite easy. Check on YouTube. If you are scared of winding roads you won't often exit the Autostrade network.

Note that the train goes from La Spezia to Monterosso in less than 15 minutes whereas by car you'll waste 40 minutes or more.

Posted by
3812 posts

PARKING CLOSE TO LA SPEZIA CENTRALE STATION
[44.1108264, 9.8144764]

PARKING IN LA SPEZIA IN “PIAZZA D’ARMI”
[44.107316, 9.808208]

PARKING IN LA SPEZIA “PALASPORT”
[44.114412, 9.847875]

Posted by
15461 posts

If you are going for multiple days and staying in Monterosso, I would drive to Monterosso and park there, even though it might take 40 min longer than going to La Spezia coming from Florence. For multiple days stays I prefer to have the car closer to me. That way you don't need to deal with lugging your luggage on and off trains. The drive to Monterosso is not dangerous. I presume you know how to turn a steering wheel to make a curve. Besides, if you are coming from Tuscany, you'd better get used to the idea of driving on winding roads.

There are two parking spots in Monterosso. One is on the beach at the new part of town called Fegina. The other is a multi story parking lot situated in the old town (Centro Storico, or historical center). You should park in the one that is closer to your accommodations.

The Fegina beach (new town) parking is here. Just before getting there, you will pass by this other parking lot here. It's smaller than the one at the beach, but if it works better for your accommodations, and they have availability, it's another option.

The historical center parking, called Loreto Parking is here.

Driving from Levanto to Monterosso at a certain point the road splits. Right turn goes to Fegina (new town), go straight to the Historical center (old town).
This is the image of the fork where you must make the decision on which side to go.

Call your accommodations to find out where they are, if you intend to drive there. Ask also if they have parking onsite. Some hotels in the Fegina area do.